Eating Oil

MrEvil

LVC Member
Reaction score
My 2000 DTS appears to be eating two quarts of oil per month.... why is this I also have the faint smell of burning oil after a long run.......My check oil level message appears about every two months.

Not good.

Alot of possibilities, but generally, its not good news.

DO you see any oil on the engine anywhere?

Did this just start or has it become gradually worse?

Check around the Oil filter - sometimes the rim seal there can leak

Joeychgo said:
Not good.

Alot of possibilities, but generally, its not good news.

DO you see any oil on the engine anywhere?

Did this just start or has it become gradually worse?

Check around the Oil filter - sometimes the rim seal there can leak

There is no evidence of an oil leak anywhere......what ever the problem it will only cost me 200 dollars I have a warranty.... It has been going on since I purchased the DTS

Absolutely....... take it in -- but if you have no visible signs of an oil leak - it's not sounding good. The oil isnt evaporating, so if its not leaking, it has to be coming out the exhaust.. Then again, if its under warrantee, then all the better for you.

But dont wait.

How many miles are in those two months? N*s have a tendency to consume oil due to the design of the cylinder walls from the factory. Some consume more than others. However, the fact that you smell it is a little troubling. Check for any signs of leakage blowing back on the exhaust. Normally in those situations there is no indication (other than missing oil) of the engines consumption.

Has any major work been done on your car? If its not coming out through the exhaust make sure you even check the stupid things, any seals along oil lines and the pan. Also make sure your valve cover is tight, i know that my old car (not a cadillac) often burned off oil because the valve covers weren't completely tightened (don't ask me why, this is just what i was told and what was happening on my car) so check that as well, that would also explain the smell.

Ive read that caddys burn 1-2 quarts of oil between oil changes, from the factory. hence the 7 quart oil pan...

Yes the Northstars do use oil but I would say if you can smell it burning then it's leaking somewhere you can't see. If it was being consumed in a normal fashion you wouldn't smell it burning.

Take it in. Use the warranty. Don't wait

Everone's right. Take it in, right away. If it's burning oil, it'll cost more than $200.00 to fix.

Is burning oil a problem for new Northstars too? I have a 2005 Bonneville with a Northstar.

I just purchased a 2001 Olds Aurora with the V6 it is a MINI-NORTHSTAR and within the first month 1000 miles it needed 2 extra quarts. Seems to use 2 quarts every 1000 to 1500 miles.

Is this normal for the type of engine. I have the 50% warranty, but the dealer has been taking care of us, I beleive he will continue to do so. He already shelled out the money for 2 new hubs and 2 new tie rods. already this would have cost a few thousand but was N/C . They have a tracer in the oil now.
There seems to be alot of soot on the dual exhaust pipes.

Anyone have an idea what this is, and how much this might cost?

MrEvil said:
My 2000 DTS appears to be eating two quarts of oil per month.... why is this I also have the faint smell of burning oil after a long run.......My check oil level message appears about every two months.
Try using LUCAS OIL STABILIZER, it stops most leaks and adds longevity to your car. I use all LUCAS OIL products and recommend it everyone I know.

tha_saddle said:
Try using LUCAS OIL STABILIZER, it stops most leaks and adds longevity to your car. I use all LUCAS OIL products and recommend it everyone I know.

--your telling me this oil stabilizer will prevent leakage?

sorry to hear that so soon

sorry to hear that so soon, i don't know what it is about caddy's and oil, mine is a 96, so i expect that out of mine, but not a 2000 series that seems like something bigger than just burning oil, might be a faulty part internally!

Members online

No members online now.
Back