dummy factory face plate for tv radio

markdtskitted

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I took the front cover faceplate off my factory radio and use it as a cover for my TV radio to deter theft

IMG_20121009_163401-1.jpg

IMG_20121009_164117.jpg

I did the same thing in my 2000 Grand Marquis. I flattened it and added a mount that slipped into the 1/2 din slot, then I used Velcro, then I tinted the windows so dark it doesn't matter.

In my 89 Cougar I made a fiberglass Kleenex box because I moved the radio to the lower slot and added a computer and monitor (in place of the ashtray).

With my 97 Mark VIII I just hacked the OEM deck to add bluetooth :) Good enough for me for now.

I like the finish the the radio/EATC surround. I would like to do some sort of brushed metal look on mine, to replace the grey carbon fiber I put on it for now. There is some pretty nice looking brushed vinyl, I guess I will see how this older cheaper vinyl holds up in 150+ interior temps with 110 degree ambient temps. Even today it was 130 inside after an hour in the sun.

I did the same thing in my 2000 Grand Marquis. I flattened it and added a mount that slipped into the 1/2 din slot, then I used Velcro, then I tinted the windows so dark it doesn't matter.

In my 89 Cougar I made a fiberglass Kleenex box because I moved the radio to the lower slot and added a computer and monitor (in place of the ashtray).

With my 97 Mark VIII I just hacked the OEM deck to add bluetooth :) Good enough for me for now.

I like the finish the the radio/EATC surround. I would like to do some sort of brushed metal look on mine, to replace the grey carbon fiber I put on it for now. There is some pretty nice looking brushed vinyl, I guess I will see how this older cheaper vinyl holds up in 150+ interior temps with 110 degree ambient temps. Even today it was 130 inside after an hour in the sun.

Brushed metal Look :D
IMG_0885.jpgIMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

Quick question, do our factory AM/FM cassette head units, have any RCA or aux jacks on the back?

Quick question, do our factory AM/FM cassette head units, have any RCA or aux jacks on the back?

Quick answer is no. Long drawn out if you have no use for cassette or have a CD changer and have no use for it, it takes only a few minutes and rudimentary electrical skills to add it.

I cut the audio connection to the CD changer and wired in RCA jack. I personally connect it to a Bluetooth receiver but could have just connected it to my audio source. Down side is the CD changer needs to remain in place, and a CD need to be in (and changer needs to work right). No real wiring skills required, don't need to break open the radio.

Using a dummy cassette and tapping RCA inputs to that is a little harder, requires disassembly of radio and some nearly micro soldering, or simply shoving wires in a connector. Down side is noisy cassette and it a bit of work. I will document it when I perform it again, as I want to have multiple inputs available.

Members online

No members online now.
Back