DTC error code P0430 catalyst efficiency below threshold (bank 2)

pearl99continental

New LVC Member
Reaction score
service engine soon light came on a couple days ago, so i went out and bought an OBDII scanner. I plugged it in and got 1 error code:

P0430 catalyst efficiency below threshold (bank 2)

can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks
Mike

pearl99continental said:
service engine soon light came on a couple days ago, so i went out and bought an OBDII scanner. I plugged it in and got 1 error code:

P0430 catalyst efficiency below threshold (bank 2)

can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks
Mike
this means the driverside catalyst is not operating within the range of normal operation.the first sensor tells how rich/lean the engine is running.the second sensor tells how well the catalyst is working.you might have a car that has a update for the pcm,or the cat. will have to be replaced.good luck

I assume your talking about the 99 conti, how many miles are on it. Usually the problem is the o2 sensor is worn out or "lazy" The front one before the cat is usually the culpret. Is there a rattle from the cat or does the exhaust stink like sulfer. I would try running some seafoam thru the pcv tube with pcv valve off. Don't put any in the hole)grommet) you took the pcv out of. The bottle tells how to use it. Which is you use about 6 or so ounces. Then it stalls the car out and you let it sit about 5 or 10 minuts. The exhaust will be cloudy for a bit but goes away. Among other things it can help clean the cats but even if it doesn't fix the code it still cleans carbon and whatnot. Also leave the negative cable off the battery while you wait as the light won't reset without doing so at least on my dads 97 conti it didn't. Any engine cleaner set off a code which popping the negative got rid of.

Members online

No members online now.
Back