Driveshaft Question

skizot722

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Right where the driveshaft is bolted to the tailshaft, is there anything that's lubricated there? I was under my car the other day, and there's some kind of oil that's been spun against the underside of the floor boards there right where those two pieces connect at the guibo. The liquid is not red, and there hasn't been enough of it to make it to the garage floor. Also, on top of the tailshaft housing it is dry, which makes me think it's not engine oil leaking down from above. It appears to be coming from right where I described. The tailshaft seal itself is also dry.

I will try to get some pictures up sometime this evening, but any help/info would be appreciated.

Yeah, that's why I don't know what the hell it would be. The fluid definitely isn't red. :confused:

If its a real small amount them just road dirt mixing with the fluid that is spattered will likely make it look black or brown.

Try giving the area a good cleaning and then check it again after a few miles of driving. If you see more fluid again, you have a problem.

also see if the leak is coming from the vent hole that is in the end of the yoke that slides in the rear of the trans. it looks like a frost plug in the end.

Never mind thought I was in the mark 8 section.....sorry

but it could be a u-joint cap starting to go and losing its grease.

also see if the leak is coming from the vent hole that is in the end of the yoke that slides in the rear of the trans. it looks like a frost plug in the end.

Never mind thought I was in the mark 8 section.....sorry

but it could be a u-joint cap starting to go and losing its grease.

Nope,

No U-Joint there....just a Guibo.

There is kinda a pilot bearing in there but I imagine it being a dab of grease and thats it.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll get it cleaned up really good and keep an eye on it every few days for a while.

Members online

No members online now.
Back