"Downgrading" from EATC to regular HVAC controls

MediumD

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control these things have. If it's summer I've got it on 60* with max fan or on max AC, if it's winter I've got it on 90* and max fan. It doesn't work worth a :q:q:q:q if you leave it on 75*, the only thing that's good for is a 2+hr road trip. If it's a time of year that I might need AC and heat in the same day I have to press the buttons like 100 times.

I've heard of people "upgrading" from the regular units with the 3 knobs to the EATC, which requires adding a few additional parts to support the EATC... Anybody heard of anyone ditching the EATC for the regular controls? Would it be too much to hope that it would be plug and play?

Why not just set it to vent and control the temp manually? Its not like you HAVE to use the "automatic" button. Basically, you are already running is manually so why hack it?

Also there is a sensor. On a 93 and maybe 94 its behind a little grille to the left of the radio. There is a tube that brings in air past a temp sensor to monitor cabin temps. it can get DIRTY and then be out of whack. Also if you have an after-market head unit that gets hot, it will throw it off too. Which is why temps might be right then as you drive it start to feel cool. It thinks cabin temp is too high due to the head units heat output.

As for fully automatic, NOTHING beats the one in the Mark IV. I miss that one, it worked very well 100% of the time.

Right, I don't actually hit the automatic button (unless I want fresh-air AC.) The only complaint I have with the EATC is that if it's really cold in the car for example and I put it on 75, it doesn't put out the same amount of heat that it would if I had it on 90* with max fan. I'll take a look at the interior air temp sensor & tube and see if it's dirty, might help...

My hard button EATC has a button stuck down now, so I'm gonna have to pull it anyway, I was just hoping I could put a regular ass control unit in instead. Now that I think about it I suppose I can just pull the one out of my Vic and try it.

Of course it wont be as warm when set to 75 versus 90. When on manual you are pretty much setting the OUTPUT temp. Like any other car. Only when on automatic will it maybe drive it at 90 (or whatever max is) then as the desired temp, lets say 75, is met it start to cool the output.

Make sense? Set it to a temp and thats the output temp. Set to "desired" temp via automatic and it will push in whatever temp air is needed to reach that desired temp quickly as possible.

Agreed! Three knobs would be better.

Agreed. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that the EATC is total garbage!

Also don't like how it 'secretly' engages the A/C compressor on some settings.

Give me simple, manual controls any day of the week.

Of course it wont be as warm when set to 75 versus 90. When on manual you are pretty much setting the OUTPUT temp. Like any other car. Only when on automatic will it maybe drive it at 90 (or whatever max is) then as the desired temp, lets say 75, is met it start to cool the output.

Make sense? Set it to a temp and thats the output temp. Set to "desired" temp via automatic and it will push in whatever temp air is needed to reach that desired temp quickly as possible.

I understand the idea of how it's supposed to work. But no, on automatic it does not push in whatever temp air is needed to reach the desired temp as quickly as possible. If it's cold and I have mine on 75 manual, 75* air comes out - if I have it on 75 automatic, maybe 85* air comes out - and if I put it on 90 manual it puts out 140* or so air. EATC sucks, or at least MY EATC sucks.

Whenever I get tired of that button being stuck I'll just give it a try. I'll report back what I find out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back