Doing Intake manifold / IMRC cleaning at the moment

Myco

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
edited: added comprehensive-how-to. pictures/torque settings and answers to common questions for 1st-timers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do I take the fuel rails off? Bolts are out, fuel line is disconnected but have never disconnected the injectors from the rails?
(answer -- they just pull right off)
I'll post pics in a bit...

upper intake is off, lower intake has all the bolts off except for the bolts that are covered by the black platic clips... need to figure a way to pull that wire loom off without damaging it (prob. just going to remove the tape and put new tape on afterwards).

But... as I'm removing the IMRC plates I need to take the fuel rails off. I've never done it and don't want to damage anything.

There are o-rings on the injectors that keep things tight. If you have all the hardware out they should pop out. Just don't miss place the o rings (2 ea per injector)

Ok, popped them off... now getting those plastic clips off that the vac. lines are taped too. Any trick to that? I figure I'll just pull them with some pliers.
( answer -- the passenger side unscrew.. cut 1/4 of an inch off each side and you can unscrew them without taking the fuel rail off first.. the drivers side pull off)

Also: Ford wants 90$ for the IMRC -To-Head gaskets (the ones that go between the IMRC and head) it's a bit expensive. They messed up my order and and quoted me 45$ untill I got there and realized they ordered only 1 gasket and quoted the price for only 1.

It's a bit excessive. Anyone re-use their old gaskets? Manual says to replace.
(answer-- do not buy from ford. Get this from orielly. The only thing you need from ford is the 0-rings)

You can reuse the old gaskets if the silicone seal is undamaged and is still soft. I have done it before without issues but YMMV.

Anyone know how to take the wire/spring off the IMRC's?

Those gaskets are like $15 a set on RockAuto.

At least they were....haven't looked at them in a while.

Why are you completely disassembling them?

I am taking the IMRC's out to clean them.
Those gaskets are like $15 a set on RockAuto.
At least they were....haven't looked at them in a while.

I found out last night that they call the "lower intake manifold" the gasket that goes between the IMRC and head at O-reilly. The "upper intake manifold" is what is called the gasket that goes between the lower intake manifold and IMRC. The gasket that goes between the upper intake manifold and lower intake manifold isn't called anything I guess... they didn't sell me that one... need to hunt it down today.
agreed, not even sure if the injectors have to come out. i did mine a while ago just cant remember

Yea they do. The injectors are seated in the IMRC plates. If you were going to take just the lower intake off you would need to take the injectors out as the fuel rail comes off with the lower intake.

I am taking the IMRC's out to clean them.

I found out last night that they call the "lower intake manifold" the gasket that goes between the IMRC and head at O-reilly. The "upper intake manifold" is what is called the gasket that goes between the lower intake manifold and IMRC. The gasket that goes between the upper intake manifold and lower intake manifold isn't called anything I guess... they didn't sell me that one... need to hunt it down today.

Yea they do.

You're gonna be hard-pressed to find the 2 oval-shaped gaskets that go between the upper and lower. I don't think anyone has found them yet. I've had mine apart a few different times now, and have reused the originals this whole time. Spray test indicates no leaks...

I had a sticky imrc on bank 2 when I pulled car out of storage...wedged hand down behind Intake moved manually a few times freed up nicely then I ran some seafoam through it hopefully I will not require a removal and cleaning

156k miles
( sorry.. dropbox doesn't allow image links to open to forums... you have to follow the links. I didn't know this. )

$$$$$

36$ for upper/lower intake gaskets -- oreilly
12$ coolant --oreilly (it was a special so usually more)
7$ for coolant crossover tube gasket from ford
4*2$ for engine degreeser
free$ -- hoses .. ask in orielly for cut/overstock vac lines and they will just give them to you usually.

Other things: like shop tools should be in your garage.. as for the lube... if you don't have any go to orielly and get the 1$ brake greese by the counter in the little pack.

You might want a couple wire brushes: 2$ a piece at oreilly.

Total:: 68$ Shop cost: 2.9 hrs ( without IMRC cleaning ) 2.9 * 95$ = 275.00$ + tax + parts... + shop expenses (coolant etc.)
Shop time: 3-4 hrs
Your time: 1 day if you clean the IMRC plates. 5 hrs if not and it's your first time. 3 hrs second time
(assuming you have all your equipment/parts with you)

NOTE: you might want to buy a couple injector rebuild kits in case you break one... they are 2-3$ a piece.

IMRC plates looked like this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kbcfosh5gd7x6db/2013-04-19 22.01.23.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j7881ugyjmjtj3y/2013-04-19 22.01.46.jpg

Cleaning the plates was a problem. I heard all kinds of things about what to clean them with... even soap and water. I'll tell you right now. If you want to use soap and water go ahead... it will EVENTUALLY do it but I looked for something that would be safe an any rubber as I didn't know if there was rubber on these things anywhere ( as they were ALL BLACK ) I used carborator cleaner which didn't really touch it.

It's interesting to note that there are two types of carbon buildup on the plates. There is the hard carbon which you can see in one of the pictures and there is a gummy ( almost like bubble gum ) buildup. This is what keeps the plates from turning and you are taking off with the sea-foam. I wouldn't imagine it takes the hard carbon off at all. What you see on the plates is 90% hard carbon buildup.

The best thing was orielly's Foaming Engine Degreeser. It was a whole new world of cleaning.

-tools-- First of all I didn't know they were plastic but I didn't want to gouge anything so I started off using toothpicks... but quickly graduated to a flathead screwdriver.

Almost done.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9aag1u5gboypl6/2013-04-20 13.15.20.jpg

And the rebuild.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/epfv50k2p1tj25p/2013-04-20 21.16.32.jpg

Notes for others:

The black clips that attatch the wires to the IMRC's ... use a needle nose and squeeze and push them through. The black clips at the very end of the wire pop off in the opposite direction.. Just line them up and push (a bit harder than expected). The one-way check valve that goes into the brake booster can be pulled right out. No need to take that hose off.

Another note: The injector wire harnesses that run across the top of the heads. On the drivers side they pull right off. On the pass. side they unscrew off which is a pain. You can cut a 1/2 inch off each side and unscrew them off and have enough material to use them afterwards.

Remember to:
Lube the IMRC spring.
Lube the gas line gaskets where they attatch to the fuel rails.
Lube the injector gaskets where they attatch to the fuel rails.
Lube the crossover gaskets where it pushes into the heads.
Lube the ends of all your hoses so they slip back in.
(lube = brake greese)
Get upper and lower intake manifold gaskets from orielly ( fel-pro ).
The gasket between upper and lower intake manifold ( 2 oval rings are NON-REPLACABLE do NOT loose ).
Get new gaskets for the crossover tube.
Get 2 botles of coolant (50/50) or 1 bottle (100%).
If you haven't done any hose work .. get new screw-type hose clamps to replace what's on the car.
If your hoses look old get new hoses for the upper intake vac. line.

I did this because I thought I had a leak in the intake... sounds like it's coming from there and a spray test indicated such ( guess I didn't test enough ). But I still have the same sound from the engine. Loud sucking sound like a vac leak. Need to hunt it down.

Last notes:

My car didn't start afterwards because the battery was low... need to make sure you have a full charge as it's going to be cranking for longer than normal.

Ask around... there is preventative maintenance that can be done under the intake manifold.. it's a tube under the insulation you see between the heads. I didn't do this as I didn't have time.

From the manual:

Intake1%20(Medium).jpg

Intake2%20(Medium).jpg

Intake3%20(Medium).jpg

Intake4%20(Medium).jpg

Intake5%20(Medium).jpg

Intake6%20(Medium).jpg

Intake7%20(Medium).jpg

ill do seafoam a few more times car has about 212, 000km runs like a swiss watch

holy carbon build up batman I imagine that's what mine look like

ill do seafoam a few more times car has about 212, 000km runs like a swiss watch

holy carbon build up batman I imagine that's what mine look like

It's actually not too bad of a job. Knowing what you are doing is what makes it easy. A first timer can have a lot of questions that are common knowledge for mechanics.

If you plan ahead, get the parts for any contingency it should go pretty smooth.

FYI: if your injectors crack coming out they can run around 18$ to completely rebuild/clean which might be worth it for some of our cars... lots of video's on how to clean them if you have the time.

Otherwise a small screwdriver/ a 10 mm socket and a small hammer rebuilds them nicely.

(I don't like the orielly brand so only used what I HAD to use... if you are planning on doing this then buy online a whole set.

( anyone who is doing this and coming across this information respond in the thread and I'll get an email .. or email me if you would like.)

Members online

No members online now.
Back