Do I have a coil pack problem?

opalescent 96

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
In regards to my hard to start condition I've tested the coil packs (4 tower 1996 style edis)...

I get no primary resitance from the 3 pins. The specifications are supposed to be .3- 1.0 ohms. Tested both coils and get 0.0 ohms reading on any combination of the three pins.

Checked the secondary resistance... (measuring the the coil towers, front to back, there are two coils per coil pack) with the spark plug wires out and I get 12.8 for all four on the drivers side and 13.2 kilohms on the passenger side which according to my book is within normal range

Since the coils failed the primary resitance test should I replace the coils? I'm about ready to because at night the car is embarrassingly hard to start with lots of cranking

Can someone with a gen 1 test their coils? I'd really appreciate it! I'd like to reinforce these results as an actual problem... It's hard to find information in regards to the two coil pack ignitions, It seams that in general these coils are very reliable so before I buy new ones I'd love to get some further advise! Thank guys!

Ford Racing coil packs and wires should fix you up,assuming you have no other latent issues.

Ford Racing coil packs and wires should fix you up,assuming you have no other latent issues.

I just ordered some davis unified ignition screaming demon coils for $100 from Summit, they'll get here wed-thurs. I have FRPP wires already. Hopefully the coils with fix me up. I'll report back

Members online

No members online now.
Back