Did some powder coating over the weekend

Bildabo

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So I had a couple buddies that wanted some bicycle frames powder coated. Of course they couldn't just ask for a single color, they both wanted fades. I had never tried anything like that but figured what the heck, sounds like fun. Just thought I'd share, I think they look pretty cool.

I should have taken better pictures, I took these with my phone. Also please ignore my messy garage

IMG_20111008_040506.jpg

IMG_20111008_002851.jpg

IMG_20111008_040551.jpg

Looks great
I've never done fade either how hard was it.
Any tips to make the fade turn out so nice?
Or the steps you used to do it.
Is that a walk in oven?

Looks great
I've never done fade either how hard was it.
Any tips to make the fade turn out so nice?
Or the steps you used to do it.
Is that a walk in oven?

Its a little tricky but I did a few practice parts trying to figure out how first.

What I did was first lay out the lighter color, to make things easier just do the entire piece. Put it in the oven until it flows out and remove. Wait for it to completely cool before spraying your next color. Now spray your darker color and just feather where you want the fade. I then used a air gun (better make sure its clean air) and lightly blew off any overspray I didn't want. Throw it back in the oven and let it flow out. Pull the part out again and let cool. Spray your clear, and throw it in and fully cure.

Now if your gun doesn't do multiple coats very well this could be difficult. I also tried laying both colors dry then going in the oven. Its a little tricky but the powder flows really well together that way BUT its almost impossible to keep the powder jumping to the other color and blending.

You just need to try a couple pieces to see what works for you. Pretty cool trick to have.

Is the oven a walk in? Well, you could walk in, but you won't get very far! =) its 6'x4'x4'

Tried another little experiment this weekend. This is the exhaust off of one of my quads.

PART_1318798478543.jpg

Members online

Back