Detailing questions !

StraDog

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Aight guys, thought I would post up and see what information you guys have on the subject.

I have a issue with the original paint being VERY dull. I recently had the front fenders, hood, front bumper, trunk, and rear bumper repainted. No the rest of the car has not been repainted, and only recieved about two "somewhat nice" buff jobs. It is very dull and when the sun is out, the car looks like crap with 2 shades of black, dull black ( charcoalish in direct sun ) and shiney black from the recent paint jobs.

What can I use to make this "dull" original paint almost shine and have a nice deep black finish without having it repainted ? Any suggestions on "Polishes" or wax would be appreciated. I know I will definently have to polish and Buff the hella outta it.

I just want this old paint to have a nice finish and match up to the newly painted parts of the ride.

Thanks for your time. :Beer

StraDog said:
I'm stumped, water for ?

:slam

If you go Benny's (pepperman) route and do the color sanding.....you will need ALOT of water.....and you may even want to put a small amount of car wash detergent in there as well......smooth it all out.....allow the sandpaper to glide a bit better.......................duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :Bang :N :waving:

Hahah, that was the first time I heard of color sanding !. I would love to hear more about it tho.

:feedback

Just be VERY careful when doing this! Depending on what year, make, model you have, the paint could be anything from Laquer, to enamel, to a base coat/clear coat urethane. If you put a little polish on a rag and rub the paint and the rag doesn't turn the color of the paint, you have a base coat/clear coat finish. These are easier to color sand due to the clear coat. Just be careful NOT to sand through the clear and into the base coat (actually easier than you might think) because at that point, only a paint job will help you. You might want to visit a site like http://mothers.com to get some details from professionals. I used to have a detailing business but it would take a while to give you the degree of input that a site like Mothers can provide.

With all the time, materials and equipment you would have to buy to do it right it may be cheaper and better to find a professional detailer in your area and have them take care of it. Then once you get it where it looks it best then you can maintain it yourself pretty easy.

BigT said:
With all the time, materials and equipment you would have to buy to do it right it may be cheaper and better to find a professional detailer in your area and have them take care of it. Then once you get it where it looks it best then you can maintain it yourself pretty easy.

very true... a buddy of mine just got his thunderbird wet sanded. The black paint was all dull and scrathed up... now it looks like a damn mirror.

:I

Looks like I may just do that... Thanks for the tips guys, but I will def. hit up Mothers and see what they have to say.

Members online

Back