Derp...

SATURN5

Dr. Frankenstang
Reaction score
Went to pull the front wheels off today to have some new tires put on, and the jack slipped off the cross member...

Which then let the full weight of the car slam into the jack and the pan.

Got the jack repositioned and car up on stands, and see the pan is shoved up.

Went and got the tires done, and gave me some time to brainstorm a fix.

I figured I'd weld a couple nuts to the pan, take a long bolt and some tube and lever it back into place.

Well, it worked... Sort of. Something is hitting when I crank/start it.

So, the boys and I shove the SVO out of the garage and shove the Mark in.

Looks like I get to drop the cross member and pull the pan and see what I've buggered up.

All I wanted was to replace my tires... :mad:

I figure the same... :(

Oh well, at least it will have a fresh gasket set and a blast and paint.

Will do. It "was' in good shape, just some surface rust. Once I get it pulled, I'll remove the nuts, media blast it and repaint it.

This happened to me a while back, I'm just lucky I had the jack on the forward portion of the k member so when it slipped off, the jack went upward into dead space where there wasn't anything to hit..I was getting under there for a second to tighten the trans line fitting into the radiator..thank god I wasn't under the car when it happened..since then I always use jackstands even for the little stuff I have to dive under for.

Unfortunately, the markviii pan is a 2 piece. So, you only pulled down 1 half. I'm sure it will be fine, once you get it off and push out the inner half.

You may want to go ahead and replace the oil filter housing gasket while you've got the cross member down, unless of course you did that one already.

My leaking pan gasket led to...

-Oil filter adapter gasket
-Motor mounts
-Addco sway bar
-trans mount
-93 Driveshaft
-Strut rod bushings

You know, "while I was in there!" Lol

It happened to me! All I wanted to do was rotate the tires, jack slipped etc. Dropped the k member, took off the pan, and the baffles ended up being bent upward, so the crank started to eat away at them. Fixed, by beating back into place with a hammer and a dolly. Yes, when you hear that sound at start-up, gives you chills.

I've seen this twice now. I will be very careful with that center lift point.

"While we are in there". I just figured out I might as well do my clockspring along with my HID install. I have to rip the steering wheel area apart anyway to tweak the multifunction switch.

Well things are progressing in typical midwestern fashion.... :(

Lower shock bolt is frozen to the bushing tube, and the tube is spinning in the bushing.

Upper control arms feel solid at the chassis, but the upper ball joints has more play in it then it should.

Front end was rebuild 50K miles ago with unknown man parts by previous owner.

So now I'm thinking/looking are a complete rebuild...

Lower shock bolt is frozen to the bushing tube, and the tube is spinning in the bushing.

I had the same thing happen to my 97 when I was changing one of the control arms.

I can't remember EXACTLY how I got it out, but I think it might have involved a torch at some point.

I know I ended up spreading the sleeve with a big ass screwdriver where the ends meet up to form the tube, and used a ton of PB blaster and a BFH.

Good luck!

Well it was a battle and both shock bolts were frozen and needed cut. Both uppers are shot, and the same for the lowers. Strut to control arm bushes are junk.

K member is down...

544962_4824550461743_733320782_n.jpg

150K miles, mostly using Mobil 1.

527473_4824554541845_585885957_n.jpg

and my banged up pan....

374043_4824557501919_270861606_n.jpg

I'll hammer the baffles back in place, cut the nuts I welded to the bottom off, parts wash it, media blast, rewash and paint...

Then rebuild the front suspension as I put it back together...

Took the pan into work, washed it out, dolly and hammered the baffles back into place, deburred them. Got my suspension parts ordered. Bought Dorman control arms, and a Raybestos strut rod bushing kit. I wanted the ones Jamies uses/d, but Rock Auto doesn't have them. Advance had a matching part under their "Rare parts" brand..

305630_4827527496167_1707639100_n.jpg

Thanks.

Once home, I tack welded the baffles to make sure they stay where they belong, blasted inside and out, washed it out with hot water and soap until no more signs of media, dried, and painted.

409146_4830124001078_149883917_n.jpg

334827_4830126641144_853880116_o.jpg

600692_4830130161232_871559021_n.jpg

44533_4830131801273_1285836361_n.jpg

Your 4.6 will love you for this for a long time... and, so will your driveway.

Members online

No members online now.
Back