Dash removal -- heater core, blower motor, evaporator replacement

1986_MarkVII

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice and or insight on what to expect and or the dos and don'ts for dash removal and replacement of heater core, evaporator, and blower motor. Service shops want $900 for parts and labor. No can do, so, I have to do it myself.

Car:

1986 Lincoln Mark VII -- Bill Blast

5.0 L engine

Background:

I'm a female. I'm new to Fords, new to fuel injected engines, and new to the Mad Hatter's dilemma for wiring on newer cars.

I have sucessfully removed and restored dashes on 60s vintage cars such as Impala, VW Bug, and Renault 4CV. All of which had basic wiring I could attach an ID tag so I knew where it went when finished. :wrench

Last Christmas, the Mark VII was my present. When I saw her in my brother's garage, I felt ill and confused that he would buy that wreck for me. Rat droppings on the floor, dead bubble bees in the back window sill that was rotted and frayed. Dirt and cob webs everywhere. :slam

Her previous owners clearly did not love her. The leather seats appear to have never been conditioned and the paint is peeling and fading.

My brother was so hurt by my repulsion that I took her so he didn't feel like I was ungrateful. He saw a styish sports car with a nice ride and I saw garbage. She sat in my driveway for four months because of no heat or defrost.

In Spring I cleaned, vaccuumed, and polished her. Took her for ride and I have not been out of her since. :steering

But cold weather is here. :Bang

Current Dilemma:

No heat. Heater core and blower motor are DOA. Evaporator has built up rotted leaves and the car has killed two blower motors since last December.

My uncle has offered to help me remove the dash so we can replace the units

Questions:

1. Where do I find a "paint by the numbers" type manual on how to take the dash out and successfully deal with all the electrical behind it without destroying or creating an electrical nightmare?

2. What can I expect to find when I pull the dash off the Lincoln? I've got a wiring diagram from All Data, but it lacks detail or how it relates to what is actually in the car.

3. Is it possible to completely remove the dash, put on the work counter, so I can do some restoration work?

4. Has anyone actually removed the dash to replace parts and what kind of time is involved from start to finish?

5. Will I need special tools or any other items?

6. Should I, or how can I, determine what is killing the blower motors? Already checked the fuse and checked the electrical plug for the blower unit for burns and everything is copastetic.

7. While I have the dash out, is there anything I should replace just for good measure?

1986_MarkVII said:
Looking for advice and or insight on what to expect and or the dos and don'ts for dash removal and replacement of heater core, evaporator, and blower motor. Service shops want $900 for parts and labor. No can do, so, I have to do it myself.

Car:

1986 Lincoln Mark VII -- Bill Blast

5.0 L engine

Background:

I'm a female. I'm new to Fords, new to fuel injected engines, and new to the Mad Hatter's dilemma for wiring on newer cars.

I have sucessfully removed and restored dashes on 60s vintage cars such as Impala, VW Bug, and Renault 4CV. All of which had basic wiring I could attach an ID tag so I knew where it went when finished. :wrench

Last Christmas, the Mark VII was my present. When I saw her in my brother's garage, I felt ill and confused that he would buy that wreck for me. Rat droppings on the floor, dead bubble bees in the back window sill that was rotted and frayed. Dirt and cob webs everywhere. :slam

Her previous owners clearly did not love her. The leather seats appear to have never been conditioned and the paint is peeling and fading.

My brother was so hurt by my repulsion that I took her so he didn't feel like I was ungrateful. He saw a styish sports car with a nice ride and I saw garbage. She sat in my driveway for four months because of no heat or defrost.

In Spring I cleaned, vaccuumed, and polished her. Took her for ride and I have not been out of her since. :steering

But cold weather is here. :Bang

Current Dilemma:

No heat. Heater core and blower motor are DOA. Evaporator has built up rotted leaves and the car has killed two blower motors since last December.

My uncle has offered to help me remove the dash so we can replace the units

Questions:

1. Where do I find a "paint by the numbers" type manual on how to take the dash out and successfully deal with all the electrical behind it without destroying or creating an electrical nightmare?

2. What can I expect to find when I pull the dash off the Lincoln? I've got a wiring diagram from All Data, but it lacks detail or how it relates to what is actually in the car.

3. Is it possible to completely remove the dash, put on the work counter, so I can do some restoration work?

4. Has anyone actually removed the dash to replace parts and what kind of time is involved from start to finish?

5. Will I need special tools or any other items?

6. Should I, or how can I, determine what is killing the blower motors? Already checked the fuse and checked the electrical plug for the blower unit for burns and everything is copastetic.

7. While I have the dash out, is there anything I should replace just for good measure?

Here's another heater core replacement guide.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article57.html

Here are a few images from when I replaced mine, I have more but I have to get them off the camera.

IMG_4971.jpg

IMG_4972.jpg

IMG_4973.jpg

IMG_4976.jpg

Let me tell you, PLAN on spending a day doing this! Before I started sure, I'll knock this off easy. During, "I'll never do this again". After, "I might do it again, maybe, if I find a MKVII I REALLY like".

Also, if you don't having someone helping you move the dash arounde it is goung to be extreemly difficult to get it pack into place properly. Trust me I know :(.

One of the disadvantages of having younger brothers more interested in video games than cars.

Re: Dah removal -- heater core, blower motor, evaporator replacements

Gentlemen, thank you for all the diagrams and photographs. It has been a God send.

:wrench Need list of tools that I will need, and parts.

I'll be replacing the heater core, evaporator, and blower motor.

Are there any relay switches, nobs, bobs, whatever, behind the dash that I should replace just for good measure, i.e., I've got the dash open, why not replace the ------

Members online

No members online now.
Back