Damn.

SATURN5

Dr. Frankenstang
Reaction score
This sucks.

Was swapping hubs on my spindles for the F100, pass side went without a hitch. Driver's side freaking exploded, leaving the outer shell stuck in the spindle. Tried taking a endmill to cut some half moons to expose the face of the shell and again tried to press it out a little at a time but I've given up after moving it only 1/4". So, I need a replacement spindle.... Damnit. I wanted to roll the truck out this weekend.

Oh well, guess I'll rewire my Megasquirt back to EDIS ignition and get the SVO going again.

Thhpt. Beer time.

I just had this happen about an hour ago. Simple fix. If you have a ball joint removal kit use the medium size sleeve to push the race out. If you don't have one you can do the free rental thing at Oreillys. Set the spindle up on the press, put the medium sleeve (or whatever sleeve is the same size as the race) in the spindle and then put the metal disc on it and press it out.

Mark, the inner race of the rear wheel bearing popped out with the hub, leaving the outer bearing shell in the knuckle.

Laser, I'm trying to picture what your saying. There is nothing to press on that I can see...

The race (or shell as you called it) that is in the spindle. Its a couple mm thick wall on it. Take one of the rings from a ball joint removal kit (kinda looks like the outer bearing race) You put that in the front side of the spindle and then put the cap over that and then press it out using a hydraulic press. Also make sure you removed the snap-ring from the back side or you will never get the race out.

Snap ring was out.

Anyway, I got it out. While sitting here bitching, I had an idea. I welded the one of the inner races to the bearing shell and pressed it out per usual.

Cleaned up the knuckle, pressed in the new Timken, put the snap ring in and pressed in the redrilled hub. Back on track...

waynes%20world.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back