Damaged Power Steering?

Matt Man

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all, some of you might have seen my other thread where I finally got my car running again after 5 months and a new fuel pump.

When the car wouldn't start we had to flat tow it move it out of the way. Can the power steering be damaged by tunning the steering wheel with the car off? I ask because now that the car runs, when I turn the wheel the power steering" jiggles". Its a kind of shake in the steering wheel as I turn it slowly whether sitting still or driving.

So did I just cost myself a few hundred more bucks?

Thanks,
-Matt

Thoughts anyone? I took her for a few mile spin around the block tonight and something is definitely wrong. I'm wondering if I damaged the rack by turning the wheel with the car off or if a valve in there is sticking from sitting. Thanks in advance!

Turning your steering wheel should not cause any problems with the rack. Something might have happened when it was sitting. Did you say you had it towed? Could something have been damaged during the tow? You said "flat tow" is that flat bed truck? If so, what did they hook up to, in order to drag the car onto the flatbed.

It sounds like there is something wrong with the hydraulic spool valve in the steering rack - it might be gummed up somewhat. You might try flushing through with SeaFoam and running for a while. Also make sure that the system is full bled.

Turning your steering wheel should not cause any problems with the rack. Something might have happened when it was sitting. Did you say you had it towed? Could something have been damaged during the tow? You said "flat tow" is that flat bed truck? If so, what did they hook up to, in order to drag the car onto the flatbed.

By flat tow, I mean using a tow strap we pulled the car. We only had to move it a little bit, but I had to turn the steering wheel quite a bit to maneuver it into the new parking spot.

It sounds like there is something wrong with the hydraulic spool valve in the steering rack - it might be gummed up somewhat. You might try flushing through with SeaFoam and running for a while. Also make sure that the system is full bled.

Stan, you think it might be a gummed up valve then? I have never changed power steering fluid before. Do you (or anyone else on the board) know the procedure for doing this? Also, have you used seafoam for this before? Will it clean but not damage anything lol

Before anyone asks, I checked and the reservoir is right at the max line lol. The pump doesn't whine either. Just doesn't feel "right" when driving down the road. Its jerky and not predictable as to how much steering input I will need.

Thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.
Back