CV Joint failed

pragmatic

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So after the long process of changing the rear wheel bearing. I finally had the car back on the road. I had driven ~40 miles. On Thanksgiving I load it up and head down to NYC for dinner. Around 10 miles from home I start going up a hill and find that the the engine is rev'ing but I'm not accelerating. I glide to the side of the road and park. Placing the car in first and letting out the clutch I hear no unusual noises. I get out and look under the rear of the car. The right output from the differential is spinning (cup of the CV joint) but the shaft (connected to the cup) is not.

Car is being towed home as I write this. I'll see if it needs a new axle shaft. Are the shafts the same for the Manual Transmission cars as the Automatics? (first generation of course).

This is not a solution for him if he wants to stay with a manual transmission.

Absolutely, that's why I still have the car, the choices of 4 door RWD with MT are thin. The Chevy SS seems OK other than the poor fuel economy and difficulty finding one to test drive. The BMWs are expensive, not readily available at the dealers and I'm not sure I'd want to keep one until it had 200,000 miles. Cadillac ATS's back seat is a joke. I'm hoping either Jaguar decides to offer the XE with a manual or Chevy replaces the Aussie SS with a CT6 based SS in the near future. Both are long shots so I'll keep the current car on the road until a solution is found or a compromise is forced on me. Right now the new axle is on order and the rear of the car is on jack stands.

Members online

No members online now.
Back