Custom Tail lights

Villalta

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ive been playing around with this idea in my head for a while now. I love the rings in the front and think they would look sweet as brake lights as well. They're not done by any means, but so far I think they look pretty cool. And yeah I know, the trunk needs repainting....Havent been able to take it anywhere yet.

I remember a little while ago someone said they thought the Umnitza rings looked cheap. These ones were $10 SHIPPED from ebay so...
View attachment 61645

View attachment 61646

View attachment 61647

I think it would look better with them tinted but in the mean time this one I got off ebay will work as a test dummy.
View attachment 61649

Ive only got one question for people with knowledge on the subject. Will there be any problems with the rings being turned on and off over and over again?

Let me know what you guys think!!

Thats a cool mod i think they would look better tinted as well, i dont think it would matter if they were constantly on and off leds dont really use that much power but then again im not sure :shifty: are you doing all 4 tail lights?

Not feeling it.. its different and a cool idea but I dunno maybe its just to small? And no it shouldn't be a problem them going off and on.

Thats a cool mod i think they would look better tinted as well, i dont think it would matter if they were constantly on and off leds dont really use that much power but then again im not sure :shifty: are you doing all 4 tail lights?

I want to start with just the trunk lights and see what they look like finished.

Not feeling it.. its different and a cool idea but I dunno maybe its just to small? And no it shouldn't be a problem them going off and on.

Yeah im not sure how I feel about it myself yet. I need to find another light I can open and see what they both look like together.

Maybe center the ring more, but it's a good idea. Shouldn't matter that the rings go on and off.

I think they should be lines of LEDs instead of circles. That way you could do a staggered look or something instead of just one circle

Maybe if the LEDs had a housing and then a second smaller ring inside that for your turn signla.s

Maybe center the ring more, but it's a good idea. Shouldn't matter that the rings go on and off.

You mean centered at the bottom? Right now its over the existing hole for the small light thats already there.

I think they should be lines of LEDs instead of circles. That way you could do a staggered look or something instead of just one circle

Thats been done before though. I wanted to try something a little different.

That's what I'm doing.. Custom boards with lines across..

I remember seeing a thread about a guy who did the custom LED's in lines though the tails and the looked cool. The boards will definitely look better and neater but will you be able to see the board?

It looks dark from what I tried.. In direct sunlight, it will just look dark.. Up close you'll be able to see the LEDs because they are like .10" away from the lens.. I lost interest in it because I built one board and filled it later to find out it wouldn't fit and I would have to redesign.. :mad: :slam

It looks dark from what I tried.. In direct sunlight, it will just look dark.. Up close you'll be able to see the LEDs because they are like .10" away from the lens.. I lost interest in it because I built one board and filled it later to find out it wouldn't fit and I would have to redesign.. :mad: :slam

That sucks. I was just wondering if you would be able to see this out of place square thing in the light.

look at g35s love those tails

Thats the look im going for. They look so clean.

Yeah...def not feeling the circle shape back there. I custom board with LEDs laid out in a different fashion would be much better. If you could have LEDs that lined the outer edge of the inside of the light then that might look ok. This is actually a project I was considering working on later down the road but maybe you'll come up with something better than me. GL with the whole project!

Looks cheesy, IMO. Solid lines would work better I think.

Looks cheesy, IMO. Solid lines would work better I think.

Yeah im gonna keep playing around with it. Maybe ill get some perf board and play with that too.

BSL4R64ON.jpg

Something like this maybe, but not missing any led's along the outer circle.

I think someone did this in the past on a gen1 as well.

It pretty much comes down to if you think the circle pattern works inside a square light... Which in my opinion, not a chance.

Cool idea.:cool: But, round light in a square lense. It looks out of place.

It pretty much comes down to if you think the circle pattern works inside a square light... Which in my opinion, not a chance.

round light in a square lense. It looks out of place.

Maybe thats whats looks off to me. because I like it, but... I dont like it. I definitely want to do something with the tails though. I may try a completely custom board like FAST is doing.

I attempted an LED mod in my gen2 tails and it looked awful due to the built in contours of the plastic on the shell. There was noway to make the LEDs project the light in clear patterns. But I have never gotten into gen1 tails before, perhaps they do not have the same bumps inside.

It has the contours as well and your right it doesnt project a perfect pattern.

Members online

Back