Custom exhaust

Gmonney83

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok i attempted to do my own research, but couldn't quite find what i was looking for. sometime this summer i plan on doing my own custom exhaust and i need to know the size of piping i will need. I'm looking at using stainless steel. possibly getting rid of the two cats right after the headers and clamping the new pipes in (to hard to get a welder in there). then putting two thrush glasspacks on the end. my question would be is that too loud? if so would keeping those two cats in make it not as loud? i don't want the car to too loud but maybe a little more then a nice rumble. im really just setting out to get a good performance increase and a really nice sound. so i just need to know what size pipe and if i should take out the cats. thanks!

yup. i got their x pipe kit and am putting it in this week. the only thing is they shipped kinda slow. (week and a half). marks sound awesome with no muffs btw

guys put up some exhaust clips so we all can hear what they sound like

I would keep the cats. cutting them off and trying to clamp on pipes would be a pain in the a$$, if not impossible to get it to seal up. Remove the third cat slap a x pipe or a h pipe on it.

and those are exhaust manifolds not headers.you could put headers but they are expensive and loud. the other option is to hollow the cats out, but its a lot of work for not much gain but sound, x pipe or double x if you want looks use the LMS system with polished mufflers and double x pipe i think genos running a special now too, or if you dont care about looks straitpipe it.

Here's a vid of what mine sound(ed) like. I don't have the '96 anymore but it had stock single exhaust with resonator and no mufflers. The '97 LSC has stock duals with 3rd cat delete, H-pipe and cherry bomb glasspacks.

Lincoln Mark VIII Exhaust - YouTube

1997 Mark VIII LSC Cherry Bomb Dual Exhaust - YouTube

Lincoln Mark VIII LSC On The Road Short Version - YouTube

I just love postin' vids:D

Now, after watching and listening to that first vid, I'm kicking myself for selling that '96 Mark. I miss that car so much. I don't know what I was thinking. Oh well, hind sight is 20/20 I suppose:(

2011-10-24130656.jpg

2011-10-24130602.jpg

one of a kind sound. h pipes give old school 80's sound with flowmasters and/or drag style, the x was made to 'even' the flow better than h pipe by 45deg instead of 90, the double gives a unique almost F1 style ferrari rumble mixed with a dragster like i said the LMS i love the polished muffler and sound, you want cheap instant gratification go buy an x pipe and for $50-$100 any exhaust shop will put it and double it in and you can cut your own mufflers off.

kirk i love everytime you post vids on here

Thanks. It's fun. Now I just need some better and faster ones. The car is slowing down on me. :shifty:

It might just be my imagination, but the intake swap seemed to make the exhaust a bit more nasty, but I am shifting at a higher rpm now. I think any high-revving 4-valve with full exhaust just sounds badass. I say screw all the dilly-dallying around and open the exhaust up all the way to the block. Kooks are expensive, but oh well. You gotta pay to play.

Members online

Back