crown vic vs mustang transmission

dnehthend

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference? I have been looking around and newer lower mileage crown vic transmissions (not from cop cars) seem to be cheaper than older mustang transmissions.

Personally I would rather pay less for something newer and less abused, but I don't see too many mentions of people around here using one.

There is a low mileage 04 crown vic transmission just down the street from me, this would be for my 98.

I believe the tail shaft and housing are longer so you would need to remove the internals and put a shorter shaft in. At least thats what I was told when I asked if I can use a mark trans in my TC.

Last edited:
2wd F150 trans will work, 01-02 5.4l has all the good parts minus a hardened output shaft I believe.
Tailshaft may be different on the long/short bed, I can't remember.
The valve would have to be recalibrated but if you're planning onba jmod you could just order the entire VB from Alan at dirty dog.
Just a thought.

The 2004 Crown Vic transmission will work fine with some small changes. Like someone already mentioned, it can't be from a Town Car or a Fleet Crown Vic (like police) because they use a longer tail shaft housing.

If you can get the part number off the tag of the transmission, I have compiled a pretty good list to identify what vehicle the tranny came out of here: http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php?p=1410259&postcount=10

As long as that tranny is a 4W7P-AA or 4W7P-BA, you should be fine; if it ends in -CA, -DA, -EA, or -FA, it probably has the longer tail shaft.

You can use the valve body that is in the transmission now (it's better than the valve body that came stock in your tranny). You actually got lucky because 2004 is the best year tranny to get for our cars.

The 2004 4R70W will lack the splines on the output shaft for the VSS drive, and while the speedo is mainly driven by the rear ABS sensors in a 97-98 car, the VSS is still crucial for proper shifting pattern.

Some 2003 transmissions should still have it, and that's about as new as you can use in this dated chassis ;) Look for a cover plate where the sensor would be, and inspect the output shaft before buying. Or you will have to completely disassemble it to replace it with the correct shaft.

The 2004 4R70W will lack the splines on the output shaft for the VSS drive, and while the speedo is mainly driven by the rear ABS sensors in a 97-98 car, the VSS is still crucial for proper shifting pattern.

Some 2003 transmissions should still have it, and that's about as new as you can use in this dated chassis ;) Look for a cover plate where the sensor would be, and inspect the output shaft before buying. Or you will have to completely disassemble it to replace it with the correct shaft.

I believe that didn't start until 2005, which is why the 2004 is preferred. There are several ppl over to TCCoA that run the 2004 CV/MM transmission and I don't remember reading about any of them having that problem. It's easy enough to spot, just look where the speedometer cable/VSS sensor would go on the extension housing - if there is no hole there, you can't use it.

I've run into three 04 Marauder transmissions that had no hole for the sensor.
I also tried purchasing couple 04 Grand Marquis transnmissions with the same results. We went as far as removing the extension housings to double check. I've personally installed 03 Mach 1 trans with sensor hole present, and splined shaft.
You're right, it's easy to check, so make sure the OP does before buying it.
There is also a small change in the programming that needs to be done in order to properly engage 0D in these newer 4r70w. As long as you have some type of sct tune, chances are there is already an increased line pressure during 3-4. All IME.

You can use an interceptor transmission just fine.

Get a one piece driveshaft and have it shortened. If anything, this is a good because it will help with high speed vibration.

I've done this install in my buddies mark.

You can use an interceptor transmission just fine.

Get a one piece driveshaft and have it shortened. If anything, this is a good because it will help with high speed vibration.

I've done this install in my buddies mark.

That would be the sweet way to go - there is a reason Ford put shorter driveshafts in those vehicles!

Does anyone know if any of the other 4r70w torque converters are worth changing to while the transmission is out?

I am slowly losing 3rd gear, I would bet that it will probably quit pulling in third tomorrow. I have already planned on grabbing a trans from either a 98+ F150 or Crown Vic, depending on tail shaft length and teeth on the tail shaft for the VSS.

I am slowly losing 3rd gear, I would bet that it will probably quit pulling in third tomorrow. I have already planned on grabbing a trans from either a 98+ F150 or Crown Vic, depending on tail shaft length and teeth on the tail shaft for the VSS.

Look for "PKE-AD" on the transmission tag. Also, look at civilian model Crown Vics for fitment. I have a 99 Crown Vic civilian transmission in my 98. Our driveshafts are too long for a CVPI transmission. (and there might be an issue with "spline count" on the output shaft)

Marauder or Mach 1 but if you’re going through all the hassle, get an aftermarket smaller one.

Exactly. Both of those will offer slightly higher stall speeds and a slightly smaller diameter(??) but from a performance standpoint, not much difference at all.

Does anyone know if any of the other 4r70w torque converters are worth changing to while the transmission is out?

Make sure its a 6-bolt main TC

I know the TC between a VC and a VCPI are different

Yeah I think I read the cvpi's have the long tail shaft. This is because they wanted a shorter driveshaft that could operate safely at a higher rotational speed.

Truck/car valve body is calibrated different- swap the valve body over with the electronics/harness.
Car 98 ->97 swap the pins or swap the harness over.
Gen 2 -> Gen 1 harness swap.. at some point the resistance change on one of the solinoids. Might be safer to swap the electronics.
98 and up the teeth on the output shaft for the Speedo went from 7->8 then to 9. Depending on the gear ratio a speed cal would be in order.
2003/2004 the vss pickup count changed. Software can fix that . If I remember right on the later ones it went away.
99-2003 mustang trans is a easy swap.
2001 and up 5.4 2wd f150 will need a valve body swap along with the harness but they do have all the good parts in them.

Both of those will offer slightly higher stall speeds and a slightly smaller diameter(??) but from a performance standpoint, not much difference at all.

The TC stall difference in Mach1/Marauder comes from the entirely broader torque output of the C heads paired with 10 to 1 compression.

When installed behind a stock mark viii engine, they stall exactly the same.
The markviii and mach1/marauder TC size is exactly the same as well.

There are other advantages like better stator, and furnace brazing in 04.

You can get a mark one re-stalled up to 2800-3000 RPM for around $250-$300 or go after market for more efficient higher stalls. They run around $600-$1000

If you plan to be upgrading the engine more I would hold off on the stall. HP output plays a huge role in the way a stall is built and operates.

I picked up a 2000 Mustang GT trans with the TC for $150 today from the JY. What a mission that was doing it completely alone. Now for working on the Jmod.

Members online

Back