Creaky steering

fastmark1993

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So after about a week of ownership of my new 97, the steering is starting to creak. It only creaks when pulling out of a parking spot, or slowly turning the steering wheel. Sounds like a creaky ship on water.

My fluid level is good, fluid seems fine(no burned smell or weird colour)

I did some brief general research but some more opinions would be grateful.

thank guys.

Yepp, from experience and being a tow truck operator for 10 yrs get it fixed asap. Or u may find ur self sitting on the concrete slammed on ur frame or crooked in the fender. Just sayin
Had it happen to me on my 95 fd tbird and have picked up about 200+ customers looking sick in the face.

Fyi
Do not do any sharp turns keep ur steering to school bus minimum. Wide turns. May help with not falling to the ground for awhile. No promises though

because enough people haven't already said it.. :shifty:
its your lower ball joints. :D

My 93 had the same noise when I bought it. Lower ball joints. Get fixed ASAP!!

Mine broke the next day in my driveway thank god and had to get it towed, it sat too low to jack up myself.

$1100 mechanic bill.

huh. just replaced the whole lower control arms on both sides, they had been sitting for quite a while and are not OEM quality by any means. I work at a Ford/Lincoln dealership so ill get her up on the hoist and swap in some MOOG ones.

My 93 had the same noise when I bought it. Lower ball joints. Get fixed ASAP!!

Mine broke the next day in my driveway thank god and had to get it towed, it sat too low to jack up myself.

$1100 mechanic bill.

I hope you at least got a kiss first

Haha hardly. Both Uppers and lower control arms needed replaced. Oh the joys of suburbia labor rates..it's either get fked on price by the honest shop or get fked by the shade tree mechanic if I can't fix it. At least I know it was done right.

huh. just replaced the whole lower control arms on both sides, they had been sitting for quite a while and are not OEM quality by any means. I work at a Ford/Lincoln dealership so ill get her up on the hoist and swap in some MOOG ones.

Did you use good made in USA parts or cheapo chinese junk off fleabay? I know from my own mistakes that you don't get the china junk because it won't last. I did it and ended up replacing everything up front with Moog within a year. Get the good stuff first. It will save you a bundle in the end...

They should have a nipple underneath where you can inject some grease into them. That's what happened. They were installed practically dry. They need grease.

Check this out. This is what happened to my late '93 & check out everyone's replies & the outcome!

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=82900

Some LCA's have grease fittings and some don't. The ones I got from fleabay didn't and neither did the Moogs. But the Moogs have translucent grease boots and I could see the greast in the boots. The chinese junk I got were basically dry when I got them.

Yeah, get a needle injector and fill em' up. I think I spent $10 at pep boys for the kit.

Yeah, get a needle injector and fill em' up. I think I spent $10 at pep boys for the kit.

Yep. That's what I did with the cheap fleabay stuff. It quieted the squeak for a while but it eventually came back and I had to do it again. By the time I finally replaced them, they were so stiff they wouldn't even move when I took them off the car. I plan to eventually drill and tap the lower ball joints and install grease fittings for future use. I don't believe in "permanently sealed" anything.

Mine have never got to the point where they made noise, it was more of a preventative type deal. They're trw and appear to have seen their day, but they don't make any noise so i'm just going to leave them alone. :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back