crank and cam position sensor.

chris2523

93 Mark VIII
Reaction score
so i'm driving down the road, everything is fine, and my engine shuts off. coast to a stop, go to restart, nothing. sits for a minute. starts immediately.
so i continue driving. everything is fine, and it shuts off again. sits a minute. restarts. and repeat.

so. crank / cam sensor?
what brand?
can i get motorcraft still? rock auto does not carry motorcraft.
does anyone know part numbers?

so i'm driving down the road, everything is fine, and my engine shuts off. coast to a stop, go to restart, nothing. sits for a minute. starts immediately.
so i continue driving. everything is fine, and it shuts off again. sits a minute. restarts. and repeat.

so. crank / cam sensor?
what brand?
can i get motorcraft still? rock auto does not carry motorcraft.
does anyone know part numbers?

Chris, I got this one from AZ a couple of years ago for the 94 but never used it. Unless you want Motorcraft, they do carry them there but are AC Delco
CrankPositionSensor.jpg

yeah i did finally find them digging around tasca's website. not a fan of that system.

probably going to buy the motorcraft parts. price difference isn't that extreme, and i like knowing i have good parts.

thanks for the tasca link no limit.

NP, I have ordered a lot from them and never had a problem with anything they have sent me. I never ordered anything little from them but I do know that whatever they sell is original and not aftermarket. They get it to you just as fast as Rock Auto too.

NP, I have ordered a lot from them and never had a problem with anything they have sent me. I never ordered anything little from them but I do know that whatever they sell is original and not aftermarket. They get it to you just as fast as Rock Auto too.

Hi Chris and NoLimits,

have you please a foto for me, from the position at the cam sensor ? I think, my sensor is dirty.
Thanks im Voraus
Dedalus

The cam sensor is located in the left side timing cover, behind the power steering reservoir

20121115_143337.jpg

Chris, try removing your chip from your ecu and recheck for symptom. Those things are known for getting a little loose and can cause your issue

holy thread bump. search ftmfw.

Chris, try removing your chip from your ecu and recheck for symptom. Those things are known for getting a little loose and can cause your issue

even checked with multiple computers, a new crank and cam sensor, and a new crank sensor wiring harness.

long story short, my new motorcraft sensor i put in was bad. put an autozone brand one in and i've had no problems since.

The crank sensor is the sensor used when the engine is running; the cam sensor is only used when the engine is started.

The cam sensor is only used to tell the EEC if the engine is on the compression or exhaust stroke. A vehicle will start without a working cam sensor - the worst that could happen is the engine take a second longer to start than if the cam sensor was working.

The cam sensor is only used to tell the EEC if the engine is on the compression or exhaust stroke. A vehicle will start without a working cam sensor - the worst that could happen is the engine take a second longer to start than if the cam sensor was working.

So basically the cam sensor does not matter? The car starts well, if it is defective? - Then it can not be with me at the CAM sensor. Tomorrow I try to change the crank sensor.
PS.Thanks for the foto with the position - a very clean car - very nice.
sry. i translate with google ;-)

IMG_1742-k-Cam-Sensor MarkVIII.jpg

IMG_1745-k- cam sensor MarkVIII - sauber.jpg

The cam sensor does matter, but it's not a big deal.
The car will run with out it. You will probably have a check engine light if it goes bad.
I did not have a check engine light with my bad crank sensor.

If you are having a no start problem, I would look at the crank sensor, not the cam sensor.

The cam sensor does matter, but it's not a big deal.
The car will run with out it. You will probably have a check engine light if it goes bad.
I did not have a check engine light with my bad crank sensor.

If you are having a no start problem, I would look at the crank sensor, not the cam sensor.

Thank you,
the Crank sensor I'll be watching tomorrow. Here it will be slow night.
I've read that I must first break down the air conditioning compressor. This is a problem for me. I want to try anyway.

Chris, sorry about Tasca sending you a bad Motorcraft sensor. Like I said, I never bought anything small from them. They were the ones I got the grille, headlight housings and corner lenses from and at the time, they were at a good price but never bought any engine parts from them. They should have let you return it but I don't know their policy for that kind of stuff. Odd that they sent out a bad sensor though. I guess it happens sometimes though.

You don't have to take apart the AC compressor, just remove the 3 long bolts that secure it to the side of the block.. technically you don't even have to remove them, just back them out enough to give yourself the clearance needed to remove the crank sensor..
Before you condemn the sensor , slide the crank sensor wire harness cover back and check to make sure that the wires insulator hasn't rotted away, allowing the leads to make contact with each other inside the the cover

Before you condemn the sensor , slide the crank sensor wire harness cover back and check to make sure that the wires insulator hasn't rotted away, allowing the leads to make contact with each other inside the the cover

+1. happened to my cam sensor wiring.

I just had to fix a 1994 Ford Ranger in the shop that nobody could figure out. I wound up doing pin-point tests from the EEC-IV & ICM and found that one of the crank position wires was shorting to ground somewhere in the wiring.

I ran a new wire from the ICM to the Crank Position Sensor and she fired right up!

I'm just saying you never know what is the problem until you actually do some testing.

...slide the crank sensor wire harness cover back and check to make sure that the wires insulator hasn't rotted away, allowing the leads to make contact with each other inside the the cover

:eek: Didn't think about that! Off the subject a bit, but the future ex's Cobra is still at the damn shop and they say they jiggled the wires and it fired right up. But when they drive it, it'll hit a bump and shut off. They've had the car for two weeks and still haven't traced down the short. That may just be it!

Members online

No members online now.
Back