Couple ?s

Nyte111

New LVC Member
Reaction score
So I took the Mark in to the dealership for a quick oil change on my lunch break today and was told that I needed a Brake and power steering flush. They want $208 to do both. I have never changed either of these and was wondering how difficult it was to do on your own. Thanks in advance.

I'll save you the 208 dollars. Next time you need an oil change bring it to me and I'll charge you 40.00. I won't even try to sell you useless bull:q:q:q:q!!

I'll save you the 208 dollars. Next time you need an oil change bring it to me and I'll charge you 40.00. I won't even try to sell you useless bull:q:q:q:q!!

So I assuming I don't really need this stuff done to my car right now.

Maybe, maybe not. Check the brake fluid yourself. Is it black in color or clear? If it is black, it's time for a change. Bleeding the brakes is not difficult, it just takes time. It's much easier with two people. You can search the web for brake bleeding and there are plenty of how-to's. The main thing is to ensure there is no air in the system.

So I assuming I don't really need this stuff done to my car right now.

Speed Bleeders help if you do the brakes by yourself. Like said, not hard but takes time. Same with power steering, not hard but takes time and can get messy if you use my method.

So I took the Mark in to the dealership for a quick oil change on my lunch break today and was told that I needed a Brake and power steering flush. They want $208 to do both. I have never changed either of these and was wondering how difficult it was to do on your own. Thanks in advance.

If at all possible,find a good small privately owned repair shop in your area and stay away from stealerships.

nothing beats doing your own work,but if you cant, atleast find someone honest who does what you need and nothing more.

If at all possible,find a good small privately owned repair shop in your area and stay away from stealerships.

nothing beats doing your own work,but if you cant, atleast find someone honest who does what you need and nothing more.

the advantage of the stealerships (gotta put in my $.02) the techs are familiar with a car and know what to look for, i know most are lost about markviii's, but i work at one and i know my viii's, birds, kitties, so you got a shot of finding one ;)

Maybe, maybe not. Check the brake fluid yourself. Is it black in color or clear? If it is black, it's time for a change.

Same with power steering fluid, if it's at an appropriate level and is an appropriate color (doesn't look gross,) you should be good. As for the brakes if they don't feel soft and the fluid is clear, you should be good.

I guess most of us Mark drivers here are basic wrench hands, where we can handle most of the preventive maintenance ourselves. If you are not a wrench hand, and need to rely on a mechanic, find yourself a good small mechanic. Ie a quick lube for oil changes or something like that.

I guess most of us Mark drivers here are basic wrench hands, where we can handle most of the preventive maintenance ourselves. If you are not a wrench hand, and need to rely on a mechanic, find yourself a good small mechanic. Ie a quick lube for oil changes or something like that.

Good thing Joey and Geno don't charge us for the LvC tech lessons I've taken over the years... and thank goodness for my tech advisers who get countless PMs from me asking how to.. And the countless phone calls to Ray while in progress... Hey Ray what am I looking at... where is that bolt that's keeping me hung up... Good thing Ray doesn't ignore my calls...

Since LvC I went from hmmmm... I look like a retard on the side of the road with the hood up looking like I know what that damn thing is, trying to look manly.... You know those guys I'm talking about...

sad to say but ive changed a carb on a 78 chevy pickup with the hood closed (in jan) so we used the eng heat to stay warm

That is a good idea! I had enough of the cold and my hands freezing, once upon a time. It seemed like only after they warmed up, that they would then bleed.

:cool:

Members online

Back