couple of issues to fix before i sell the LS

LSisland

LVC Member
Reaction score
First Issue: Fuel Computer Data Error. Mechanic said that it was likely a fuel pump, so i had both the jet pump and the delivery pump replaced, but it didn't help. the fuel level indicator reads full when the tank is full, but 1/4 when the tank is empty and the car leaves me by the side of the road (yep, found that one out the hard way.) What other parts are there in this system to be replaced? What is the most likely to least likely?

Second Issue. Absolutely no transmission problems, when out of the blue the "E" and the "Check Transmission" message came on the message center for a couple of run cycles. It went away for a couple of weeks. Then I took out my Pioneer radio/gps nav system/cd changer/sirius radio/ipod adapter(which is on e-bay-shameless plug :D) After i put the factory back in and buttoned everything up, i started the car and took it for a short drive with the old radio, etc. After driving it about a block or so, it say's "E", "Check Transmission" and the Check engine Light comes on.

after stopping the engine and starting it again, the gear shift indicator is normal, the fuel computer data error comes up, check engine light is on. then i drive car about 200 feet and the errors are back regarding the transmission.

The car drives and shifts perfectly, from slow speed to interstate speeds, even with the errors displayed.

I am thinking that maybe the message center is going bad??

Your advise would be greatly appreciated!!!! Need to sell the car to get the dreaded minivan to haul kids.

Thanks in advance!

That is a tuff one

Look man,

I have worked on a lot of cars but nothing this new. Did the mechanic test the cars electrical system? I would take the car to a place that can check it with a system that is for your car. That Auto Zone stuff won't work. As far as your transmission light problem, it could be something very simple. Sometimes if the wires are too close to eachother there signals will crossover. Even a small cut in one of your wires could be doing it. Berfore you take it anywhere double check everything you have replaced. I bet both of your problems are simple. If your transmission had something wrong you should know it because you would feel it when you drive.

Good luck and be more careful with the mechanics you deal with.

One more thing

Look man,

I have worked on a lot of cars but nothing this new. Did the mechanic test the cars electrical system? I would take the car to a place that can check it with a system that is for your car. That Auto Zone stuff won't work. As far as your transmission light problem, it could be something very simple. Sometimes if the wires are too close to eachother there signals will crossover. Even a small cut in one of your wires could be doing it. Berfore you take it anywhere double check everything you have replaced. I bet both of your problems are simple. If your transmission had something wrong you should know it because you would feel it when you drive.

Good luck and be more careful with the mechanics you deal with.

If your filter in your transmission is clogged or old that light will come on. Your car might just be trying to tell you something. This makes since because the filter could of moved some of the dirt before. That is why the light went off.

thanks, keep em coming!

BTW, this is a 2000 LS with 93k, auto transmission, and the 3.9 v8 engine.

Jet Pump?

I get phantom messages on my display from time to time, but they flash so fast I cant read them.

On my 2004 LSV8, I had the fuel computer error too. Turned out to be a bad fuel level sensor in the tank. The tank can be accessed under the rear seat I have read.

When the sensor gets stuck like yours did, the computer keeps calculating miles left and then it gets confused when the miles left don't make sense compared to the guage.

The trannies on these cars are a problem and there was a "customer satisfaction" repair program a few years back that covered repairs to the tranny. Don't know if yours is covered but worth a look.

Usually a problem with the valve body and solenoids.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

thanks, all.

i replaced both the jet pump and delivery pump, which has the fuel level sensor built in. so i don't think it's that (unless i got a bad replacement part)

I've got the car into the repair shop to have them figure it out.

I'll let ya know what it was on both counts if they figure it out.

the more issues and solutions posted the better.

UPDATE:

well, I got it into the dealer and they spent many hours and only charged me 176 bucks for diagnostic time. they checked out every related circuit and determined that it was the PCM.

They quoted me 180 bucks for labor and 771 bucks for the PCM. I got a PCM from PAMS AUTO on e-bay for around 120 dollars and the dealer spent over a dozen hours to program the PCM in, but they stuck to thier 180 dollar quote, and even gave me a loaner overnight.

Drove the vehicle home and it ran perfectly.

The next day it started missing. Now it misses so bad at times that the check engine soon light flashes indicating an engine miss that could damage the catylatic converter.

So i'm thinking that it's either a loose connection when they put the car back together, or it needs plugs and Coil-over-plug units.

Any suggestions?

probably a misfire. if you have a lot of miles or time on the coils or the plugs then it is probably time for them to be changed. if not then hopefully the dealer guaranteed their work even though you bought the part elsewhere. keep us informed.

Very sorry to hear about all of the headaches. I had a similar issue with my 00 LS V6. Had both fuel pumps replaced, problem returned the next day and had my car towed back to the dealer where they troubleshot it for 90days. In the end they replaced my REM, rear electronic module, and all was well.

They said when the fuel pumps are replaced that the REM should be replaced as well. Not sure how true this is but if fixed my car.

i just bought a set of plugs and i'm going to buy a set of 8 coils.

the coil has a green label on top. on the top row, it has EE03A. on the second row it has XW4U-12A366-BB, then way at the bottom of the same green sticker it says 0B1003

On e-bay, the listing for the coils states that they are:

MOTORCRAFT # DG515 / DG-515

FORD # 2W4Z-12029-BD

Is this the replacement part number for the set of coils that i have currently in the vehicle?

Members online

No members online now.
Back