Corn Free Gas

Markviiiedrea

Speed Bump
Reaction score
In my "T", small engines and in my my Mark I try to run Non-Ethanol gas just because it runs better in those machines and is worth the extra ₵20-30 IMHO. I found a great website with an Android/iPhone app for locating stations near you that sell the good stuff. Just thought I would share. :)

http://pure-gas.org/

Small engines should always be ran on high octane for best engine life. Around here, almost all 93 octane is ethanol free. Oddly enough, ethanol actually increases fuel octane. By adding it, they can up the octane on ****ty gas.

Yep. There's a gas station near me that sells the E85 at 105 octane. But we really can't run that in the Mark because our fuel systems aren't designed for it. I tried it once a few years ago and it didn't make a big difference and I haven't run it since. I've been told that the high ethanol content is bad for the rubber/neoprene in the fuel lines. But I've noticed a pretty noticeable decrease in mpg with the E10 gas that is all over the place now. And the few and far between gas stations that carry "pure" gas usually charge a .40 -.50 cent premium over the E10.

ethanol has fewer BTUs per gallon, so you'll need more fuel to make the same power. so your mileage will decrease.

I'm not looking for any performance or octane boost. Just need to be using better gas in her, the town car still gets the Sams Club stuff just because I buy 20 gallons a week. The Mark only see's 1500 miles a year (unless I can finally make it out to Carlisle PA) so using better gas won’t make a dent in my budget for that.

Gotta love that there's six total stations in California, all near the Oregon border. :shifty: Guess I'll stick with the corn gas. :rolleyes:

I am curious just how accurate its list are. after looking through a lot of them in my area most of them were last updated like 2010. and there was a lot of back and forth on if the location even had the advertised gas or not.

I always use http://gasbuddy.com/ on my phone but I already know who has the cheapest 93 around me anyway. I have one station about a mile or 2 away from me that also has ethanol free gas. I get it about every 3 tanks or 10 gallons here and there, just to keep it in the tank. I don't drive the car enough to worry about gas mileage. I run 93 in my riding mower too. seems to last a little longer and the engine sounds like it likes it. Maybe it's just me. The summer blend should be out soon. Something else I heard was that it's always best to try to get gas from a pump that's in the shade. Supposedly you get more gas out of the pump when it's cool. Don't know how true that is. I mean, it's metered either way.

It's (up to) 10% winter and summer, just different additives for lower temps in the winter. Another reason to use corn free.

1 gallon of 100% gas = 1.3 gallons of E85. So you can't just fill up our Marks and expect it to run worth a damn as it will be 30% lean.

Now those with a supercharger, turbo should look into running E85 if possible due to the octane, but that will require larger injectors and a reprogram of the ECM.

One of my plans is to switch my SVO to E85. I need to up my current injectors from 75lb to 120lb, but I will be able to bump the boost from 14lbs to 28lbs... :D

I found a station right up the road from my shop and that's all I will run in my Mark from now on.I don't care what it costs so long as the check engine light stays out.Thanks again for the post.

Yes, it will burn more to get the same power. Economy will go down. When I switched I did not see a huge savings, but it was there. Economy was down a little. I dont think the VIII is rated for E85. But I think its designed for it. Just like the old Taurus form the early 90s. My 96 had lined fuel lines.

Members online

No members online now.
Back