Cooling system over flowing reservoir

Trippen Out

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Lately I have been having issues with over heating. First the heater core needed to be replaced. So thats been resolved. by the way a good f-u to ford on the placement of those things. Anyway currently when I finish driving to my destination I turn the car off and a few minutes later coolant is forced out of the reservoir through the cap. I had this problem in the past but forgot what the resolve to it was. For some reason I cant help think theres an air pocket in the system. To be on the side side the thermostat was replaced and the problem still exist. So can anyone confirm if my thoughts of an air pocket is correct or what else could it be?

If it is an Air pocket whats the best way to get that sucker out. I did fill it via the cross over tube and not the reservoir.

Lately I have been having issues with over heating. First the heater core needed to be replaced. So thats been resolved. by the way a good f-u to ford on the placement of those things. Anyway currently when I finish driving to my destination I turn the car off and a few minutes later coolant is forced out of the reservoir through the cap. I had this problem in the past but forgot what the resolve to it was. For some reason I cant help think theres an air pocket in the system. To be on the side side the thermostat was replaced and the problem still exist. So can anyone confirm if my thoughts of an air pocket is correct or what else could it be?

If it is an Air pocket whats the best way to get that sucker out. I did fill it via the cross over tube and not the reservoir.

I'd start by bleeding it again. Get it on a slope when filling via the xover and rock the front suspension to wiggle any pockets out.. Since the thermo has been replaced you can more then likely rule that out. Start with the free and easy part first.

Have you replaced the reservoir cap. If coolant is coming out of the cap as far as I know it can only mean there's too much pressure being built up in the system for some reason.

I'd start by bleeding it again. Get it on a slope when filling via the xover and rock the front suspension to wiggle any pockets out.. Since the thermo has been replaced you can more then likely rule that out. Start with the free and easy part first.

I was thinking of just facking the front end up a good foot or two and trying to refill it and hope this was indeed the issue.

Have you replaced the reservoir cap. If coolant is coming out of the cap as far as I know it can only mean there's too much pressure being built up in the system for some reason.

No I have never replaced the cap. I have had this happen in the past and resolved it previously. So I am pretty sure this is not the issue. However, I am not disgarding the idea with the way things have been recently

Agree with the cap. For $5 why **** around. The cap has a spring in it that holds pressure. The 15-17 pounds of pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant. If the cap is week the boiling point will be much less, like 20 degrees or more. Cars can overheat from the cap alone. I'm not saying that's your only problem but that I would cross that off the list asap. It's recommended to replace the cap every time you replace the coolant, 2-4 years.

My theory is the cap isn't holding much pressure at all and after he shuts it off the coolant boils over and pushes out the cap. Engines are hottest right after a drive and you shut it off. The coolant isn't circulating anymore and heats up with all that hot metal..

I was thinking of just facking the front end up a good foot or two and trying to refill it and hope this was indeed the issue.

DO NOT fack up the front end, I've heard stories of dudes pissing blood afterwards. Play it safe and fack it from the rear instead.

DO NOT fack up the front end, I've heard stories of dudes pissing blood afterwards. Play it safe and fack it from the rear instead.

It's pretty hot back there though, still gotta be careful of her tubes.

It's pretty hot back there though, still gotta be careful of her tubes.

Very true. Also be aware that if the rear end is leaking it can make for a hazardous work environment. Don't let a little leakage deter you from working back there though, if it's seen excessive use you almost have to expect it. Just be safe and wear the proper protective gear.

facking. awesome type-o. i did end up opening the system and topping it off again it did suck some down and bubble up and took more. since then i have not had it happen again. also since i put th 160 thermo in it. the temp doesnt really get past the bottom half of the R now. in florida summer thats not to bad.

62EB3835-7062-451A-869E-B4EE945B63E3.jpeg
3A281374-F409-489D-BE4B-22CC0B684070.jpeg
A9C0DEBC-5480-42DA-BD10-ECF6F5957E28.jpeg
Agree with the cap. For $5 why **** around. The cap has a spring in it that holds pressure. The 15-17 pounds of pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant. If the cap is week the boiling point will be much less, like 20 degrees or more. Cars can overheat from the cap alone. I'm not saying that's your only problem but that I would cross that off the list asap. It's recommended to replace the cap every time you replace the coolant, 2-4 years.
Your so right I had a cap issue here me throwing the caps that tend to leak in the trash because that cap causes my 97 to overheat way more... althought when I pulled my new resivor it was from a first gen and came with this cap... learned the hard way these loose strength and can’t hold pressure ...the last pic you see is the cap you want ... the caps that ,clicking, sound when you tighten them enough

62EB3835-7062-451A-869E-B4EE945B63E3.jpeg

3A281374-F409-489D-BE4B-22CC0B684070.jpeg

A9C0DEBC-5480-42DA-BD10-ECF6F5957E28.jpeg

A435B188-1DF8-4CD8-BD34-37C7837D6DCE.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.
Back