Cooling Fan inop.

Psychostang

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, noticed on my way home from work last week, that the A/C wasn't working. Forgot to look at it this weekend. So just before work, I start it up and put it on max a/c. No a/c and no cooling fan. So, I swap the vlcm. no joy. Then I noticed the 40amp fuse popped. So, I try to get the connector off. No joy, its stuck. Go to autozone and buy a couple of 40amp maxifuses. Intall one and the a/c works, but no fan. The connector looks good, so it may be the fan motor. I'll have to look at it tomorrow. If it's not one thing, its another. :eek:

Well, noticed on my way home from work last week, that the A/C wasn't working. Forgot to look at it this weekend. So just before work, I start it up and put it on max a/c. No a/c and no cooling fan. So, I swap the vlcm. no joy. Then I noticed the 40amp fuse popped. So, I try to get the connector off. No joy, its stuck. Go to autozone and buy a couple of 40amp maxifuses. Intall one and the a/c works, but no fan. The connector looks good, so it may be the fan motor. I'll have to look at it tomorrow. If it's not one thing, its another. :eek:

I just had to switch the one on my Thunderbird - same problem - I was using an ATM, left the car idling and heard it 'squeeking'. When I got in it to leave, no a/c and I opened the hood, fan not turning and I could seriously smell it burning up!

I have replaced that fan with used fans 3 times over the years, so I just bought a new motor from Advanced. Here is the link for the fan motor you need for your Mark (different than the one I needed for the Bird): http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...uct_radiator-fan-motor-factory-air_19010389-p

It's $120 but with the discount code CCABIN, you can knock $40 off and get it for $80.

Well after inspection, it's going to be a little more difficult. I could not disconnect the plug from the motor, so I had to destroy both of them. The wire terminals look ok. Just need a little cleaning. The motor itself is toast. It would not free spin in the normal direction. Now, I just have to find a connector shell

Update: I looked everywhere for that connector shell or pigtail. Unfortunately I could not find one for the cooling fan. Fortunately tho, the fan assembly I purchased from an LOD member also had a pigtail with connector on it.... So, I took it apart and removed the backshell. Then installed it on my harness. Put my fan blade on the new assy and installed it.

OF course, it still didn't work on max a/c. Swapped VLCM's no joy. Found out, that my refrigerant leaked out. So off to get some cans of 134A. So after fixing some leaks and filling with refrigerant, the fan came on and a few seconds later the clutch engaged. I'm back in action.....

P.S. Also confirmed, that the fan turns on at proper temp when a/c is off.

Members online

Back