Coolant leak coming from intake manifold?

usafguy69

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys Ive spent countless hours researching everything about my lincoln (2004 ls v8) and I knew at some point I would run into some problems. Just last night the throw out bearing went bad in my other car and a couple weeks ago my ls started over heating. I bought some coolant and a gallon only lasts 30 miles. I figured it was the degas bottle and even went out and bought a ****ty doorman one as a temp fix until I fix my other car but when I went to my friends garage today we got down to the bottle and couldn't see any leaks we had it on a lift then revved the engine and then it started pouring out from where you can see in the pictures. Is it possible that its leaking from the intake manifold? He said I need a new gasket and it will be about a $500 job. This sucks because its horrible timing, with both my cars having severe problems right now, I do love the lincoln though it has never seen a winter and is flawless inside and out. I basically just want to know how hard is that job to do and is there something else it can be based off my info and pictures? Maybe a bad head gasket is causing the leak? Thanks in advance for any response.

securedownload_1.jpg

securedownload.jpg

That looks like the area where a leak from the degas bottle would migrate. Is the bottle low/empty?

That looks like the area where a leak from the degas bottle would migrate. Is the bottle low/empty?

Yeah I've just been filling it, first I loose heat then a couple miles later the car begins to overheat. I took a few clips off the drivers wheel well plastic and couldn't find any coolant in there.

It appears the leak is on the rear passenger side of the engine.

There are a couple of hoses that run around the engine and head to the degas bottle.
Lincoln LS Coolant Hoses.jpg

Lincoln LS Coolant Hoses.jpg

No coolant runs in the intake manifold of the V8. Get a new (real) mechanic.
Your leak is coming from the plastic cooling system parts at the front of the engine. It doesn't matter which one, they will all have to be replaced. You are not the exception to what nearly all the rest of us have been through. The coolant leaks from the parts in the front (probably 9N499 or 8548A in the diagram) and pours onto the top of the engine. It then runs along the top of the engine under the intake manifold until it pours out at the back. The Dorman bottle is a waste of money.

No coolant runs in the intake manifold of the V8. Get a new (real) mechanic.
Your leak is coming from the plastic cooling system parts at the front of the engine. It doesn't matter which one, they will all have to be replaced. You are not the exception to what nearly all the rest of us have been through. The coolant leaks from the parts in the front (probably 9N499 or 8548A in the diagram) and pours onto the top of the engine. It then runs along the top of the engine under the intake manifold until it pours out at the back. The Dorman bottle is a waste of money.

Thanks for the input, I knew it was a waste of money but I can't wait for shipping right now as my job requires driving and my work vehicle just lost it's clutch so I was out of options. I'll have a look at those parts tomorrow and your right a better mechanic is what I need, it was just the only garage open on a Sunday night.

Thanks for the input, I knew it was a waste of money but I can't wait for shipping right now as my job requires driving and my work vehicle just lost it's clutch so I was out of options. I'll have a look at those parts tomorrow and your right a better mechanic is what I need, it was just the only garage open on a Sunday night.

Your local dealer should stock the Motorcraft bottle.

Did a pressure test and the thermostat housing was cracked, I keep reading on posts that all the plastic parts go bad around the same time so is this the beginning of it? I just need this to last until the end of next month then I plan on replacing all the necessary plastic parts including getting a motorcraft degas bottle. Also does very cold weather have an effect on these parts breaking faster? It gets down to -20 sometimes where I am.

Yes, replace them all now, not next month. You have to take everything apart to replace them. Don't do it twice, that will just add stress to the new parts. Anyway, there's a good chance the rest of the parts will crack when you take it apart to replace the parts that have already cracked.

Yes, replace them all now, not next month. You have to take everything apart to replace them. Don't do it twice, that will just add stress to the new parts. Anyway, there's a good chance the rest of the parts will crack when you take it apart to replace the parts that have already cracked.

Okay thanks is it just basically everything that's plastic in that diagram shown above?

I RECENTLY CHANGE EVERYTHING THINKING IT WAS A CRACK PLASTIC BUT WHEN I WAS REPLACING EVERYTHING I SAW THAT IT WAS ONE OF THE o RINGS THAT WAS BAD IT WAS THAT ONE CONNECTED TO PART#9N499.

There's a good thread on here (created by SoulSoak) - search for it - it has every part number, price, location, and pics of how to change them for all of the cooling components maybe with the exception of the radiator.

There's a good thread on here (created by SoulSoak) - search for it - it has every part number, price, location, and pics of how to change them for all of the cooling components maybe with the exception of the radiator.

Thanks ill check it out, I appreciate it.

The best prices that I could find were at Tasca Auto Parts. Degas Bottle on Ebay (tasca) was about $150 and includes both hoses.

The difficult part (for me) in dealing with Tasca is they don't or did not list the right part numbers. FordPartsGiant was about 10% higher in price, but listed the parts numbers.

Upper radiator hose. 8260 - 2W9Z-8260-GB

Lower radiator hose. There is a long plastic section in the middle. (w/ Oil Cooler): 8286A (KM-4677) - 3W4Z-8286-CB

Hose Under Intake Manifold: 8548B - 4Z-9F814-AC

Hose: 8548C

Hose HVAC Heater Hose (Upper Hose to DCCV): 18472 (KH-166)

Thermostat housing. This is the part with the thermostat twisted in, the fill cap,... Also called Water Outlet: 8592 (RH-134) - 4Z-8592-AA

Thermostat: 8575 (RT-1163)

Engine Fill Cap: 8A511

Plastic Elbow (underneath intake manifold): 9N499

Main Plastic Body: Attaches to the Plastic Elbow (backside) and, the T-Stat Housing attaches to it (frontside): 8548A - 4Z-8548-AD

Top O-ring for the 9N499 to 8548A HR1 - 707299-S300
Bottom O-ring for the 9N499 to engine block 8255B - 4Z-8255-CA
The 2 O-rings from 8548A to front face of engine block 8255A - 96JV-8255-CB
Large O-ring from 8548A to 8592 8590 - 2W9Z-8590-AB
Intake Manifold Gasket 9439 - 9Z-9439-AA

Degas bottle. (Need hoses) 8A080

Belt Tensioner 8676

Serpentine Drive Belt 8620

The best prices that I could find were at Tasca Auto Parts. Degas Bottle on Ebay (tasca) was about $150 and includes both hoses.

The difficult part (for me) in dealing with Tasca is they don't or did not list the right part numbers. FordPartsGiant was about 10% higher in price, but listed the parts numbers.

Lower radiator hose. There is a long plastic section in the middle. (w/ Oil Cooler): 8286A (KM-4677) - 3W4Z-8286-CB

Thermostat housing. This is the part with the thermostat twisted in, the fill cap,... Also called Water Outlet: 8592 (RH-134) - 4Z-8592-AA

Main Plastic Body: Attaches to the Plastic Elbow (backside) and, the T-Stat Housing attaches to it (frontside): 8548A - 4Z-8548-AD

Belt Tensioner 8676

You are a king, thank you! Being a full time student and work 50 hours a week you just saved me a hell of a lot of time so thank you!

Belt Tensioner 8676

EXCELLENT!!!!!! Thanks for posting this!!!

Sorry to necro-post but I am the new "proud" owner of a Lincoln Ls....Despite many bad reviews, I love the way it looks and drives....but I have had it 4 days and it overheated on me...went ballistic on the dealer, got him to give me some money back....ANYWAYS....same thing, leaking "seemingly" from under intake manifold...If i can do a little preventative maintenance and stop some other things from going wrong, I am willing to do that, assuming the parts aren't ridiculously priced...in the list above, is it recommended to replace everything listed there? Seems like hundreds of dollars of plastic. Or is that a breakdown of the plastic parts of the cooling system in it's entirety? Can I just buy what routes under the manifold, so that way, I can be cheap now and if need be, slap the parts on in a few minutes, should the need arise?

And if so, is this (Hose Under Intake Manifold: 8548B - 4Z-9F814-AC) the only plastic pieces that route under the manifold?

It (plastic cooling system parts) all fails at once. If you don't replace them all now, you'll be tearing back into it every week for a while until it's all replaced. Here's a couple of good threads on it.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?91092-GenII-LS8-Cooling-System-Overhaul
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?90449-Replacing-cooling-components-(genII-V8)

If memory serves, it is about $500 worth of parts.

I am assuming (since you didn't say) that you have a gen II V8. If not, then these are not the right parts.

Sounds like someone traded in that car to the dealer due to the problem, but topped it off with coolant beforehand. But yes, replace all plastic cooling parts - it is a full friday or saturday night job.

for the record, when my coolant outlet pipe exploded, I thought I would just be cheap ass and only buy that part because I thought everybody was just making it seem like a bigger problem that it was...

well two other parts broke while I was taking everything apart to make the repair, so my car was down for almost a week before the first part came in and then it continued to be down for another week while I waited for the rest of the parts to come in.

morals of the story

don't be "that guy" that doesn't listen to what every other person out there is saying
don't waste time and money (extra coolant) putting everything back together just to replace another part in a week or two
don't be "that guy" that damages their engine because they keep letting it overheat again and again
don't be "that guy" that doesn't think that their engine is really overheating because the gauge barely went up over the mid point (if it goes over the mid point at all, IT IS OVERHEATING)

Lol...Not trying to be "that guy"....
But I am "That guy" who is broke cuz he just bought a car that "seems" to be a headache...$500 is a lot of scratch for me at the moment.
It's not so much being cheap as, not being able to squeeze blood form a turnip. :p

Little background...
In the past ONE WEEK... 03 Mustang Fuel pump gone...2 days after it is fixed, brakes leave the wife stranded...
96 Caprice - Compressor locks up making the car immobile, has to be towed.
99 Silverado - Rear brake pad breaks and destroys caliper and rotor, u-joint goes out
04 Lincoln LS - overheating 4 days after i bought it...
F....M....L

Members online

No members online now.
Back