Coolant Hoses Total Cost

TooManyToys

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My wife's '03 LS with almost 100k just had an overheat on her way home so I went and got it drivable and back. It turned out that a small hose off the top of the thermostat housing popped off, not the normal break in a plastic part.

But considering the warnings on this site of plastic system parts breaking (I previously bought a surge tank and T/S and have those in storage), I thought it would be a good time to just replace all the hoses and DCCV due to the mileage. :eek: Man, this ain't no '65 Mustang 289! :eek:

I can better these prices by a few percentage, but it's still over $600.

It doesn't look like that little 9N499 elbow is going to be fun under the intake.

Hoses.jpg

Hoses2.jpg

Hoses3.jpg

It adds up quick doesn't it...

What's the expensive 18C553 part? (I don't see it in the diagrams)

It's the 3 hose package to the heater core rather then individual hoses. Shown as combined items in the heater hose diagram with a gray rectangle at each basic part number.

... It turned out that a small hose off the top of the thermostat housing popped off, not the normal break in a plastic part...

Yeah, that's what I thought when this happened on my 04. What really happened was that the top part of the nipple that the hose goes over broke off and remained in the hose. It looked like everything was okay, but there was nothing to keep the hose from popping back off again, except for putting a tighter clamp on. This, of course, didn't matter much because the another part of the plastic cracked soon after.
Take a closer look at the hose and the nipple it goes on.

I will Joe, but I think you're right. When I did that I remember wondering why they didn't but a swage on the end.

Also, while you're at it. Get the belt as well. It's really easy to change while all the hoses are out.

The 9N499 elbow is a bit of a pain, but it can be done without removing the intake. The bolts were way longer than they needed to be, so I had to pry a little on the plastic intake to get them in/out.

So far I have about $600 wholesale in plastic cooling system parts. The parts that leaked were the upper radiator hose then the surge tank, then the 9N499 elbow. So far I've changed almost everthing but the DCCV.

Bringing this back up since i just had part of my cooling system replaced.

8592, 8548B, and the dreaded 94N99. Intake was removed for this one.

Also replaced the degas, all gaskets for the above parts and the caps. Left the rest of the system alone and it was filled and bled with motorcraft gold coolant. System seems to be holding pressure well, fan is nice and quiet at both idle and high rpms and barely any louder with the ac on.

My only concern is that when the car is on, the coolant in the degas drops down below the low mark. But then again it should only be past that mark when cold right?

I chose to replace only these parts as they seem like they are the parts put under the most stress, the rest have rubber in between and should hold up fine i would think.

I think it's luck of the draw. I had the upper radiator hose start seeping from the plastic part of it on my 04. So far the hoses have been okay on my 06, but the plastic at the front of the engine failed, the degas cracked, and one of the throttle body hoses degraded. I would point out too that the lower radiator hose has a big piece of plastic in the middle and it is bolted to the engine.

How much is your coolant level sinking? It shouldn't go down more than a slight amount, and then it should come up over the cold mark when the engine warms up. If not, I think you still have some air.

Upper radiator hose blew on mine while my mechanic was taking it for a drive after replacing the solenoid pack...

I think it's luck of the draw. I had the upper radiator hose start seeping from the plastic part of it on my 04. So far the hoses have been okay on my 06, but the plastic at the front of the engine failed, the degas cracked, and one of the throttle body hoses degraded. I would point out too that the lower radiator hose has a big piece of plastic in the middle and it is bolted to the engine.

How much is your coolant level sinking? It shouldn't go down more than a slight amount, and then it should come up over the cold mark when the engine warms up. If not, I think you still have some air.

The coolant level actually stays the same upon closer inspection. It sits currently at halfway below the low fill mark, doesn't go any higher or lower. The fan doesn't kick into full speed like it did before i replaced the parts but i can hear some bubbling coming from the dash. Much less than before but its still there.

I picked up some prestone gold 50/50coolant, says its ok to mix with the motorcraft coolant. Guess i should add coolant until it gets to the fill mark and bleed the system?

I haven't done it before but am reading the procedure here on the site. From what i gather you need to remove both caps and not just the degas cap?

My mechanic did flush the system with distilled water first, and used two jugs of the motorcraft coolant and then bled the system a couple times so im sure the level is almost where it needs to be minus the air that's left.

....... i can hear some bubbling coming from the dash.

I have always heard a gurgling/bubbling sound behind the dash on both my '06s. It doesn't last too terribly long and everything seems to be fine.

I have always heard a gurgling/bubbling sound behind the dash on both my '06s. It doesn't last too terribly long and everything seems to be fine.

Never on either of mine (04 and 06). This doesn't count the sounds from the little motors moving the air flow dampers around.

Never on either of mine (04 and 06). This doesn't count the sounds from the little motors moving the air flow dampers around.

Could that sound like gurgling? It doesn't do it after I shut the engine down, it seems to do it when I turn the ignition to "acc".

My car made this gurgurling sound also. After degas bottle and all the hoses that were attached to it were replaced, the noise went away.

Great! Mine's been making the gurgling sound as of late. Guess I know what's in my near future then.

Where is the V6 thread on this!!! I'm jealous. V8's have all the attention. Anyhow, I'll keep searching. I just need to know how to flush it.

Members online

Back