Converting from air suspension to springs???

texstead

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a '95 Mk Vlll. I put front struts on ot about a year ago & now the compressor is out as well as the rear bags. The cost of buying the replacement parts is almost as much as buying the replacement springs for front & rear.

Has anyone made this change?

If so, how did it affect the ride? Was it harder or softer?

Strut Masters claim it corners better but don't say anything about the ride.

Does the change create any hassle with the rest of the electronics ...i.e. the processors etc. when you disconnect the rest of the system.

Thanks a lot in advance for your input.

You can just disconnect it, turn the air ride switch off and not worry about it.

The ride is definitely rougher, but not bad. Its still quite comfortable.

Thanks Dern for the update. I just thot of something else. What about shocks? Aren't the front shocks built in to the air strut? The rear shock are external...outside of the rear bags, right?
Would it be a good idea to replace the shocks?
Thanks again...

The conversions are very easy to do and you will not notice very much difference with a standard conversion from the air ride.

You will mostly notice that the car handles better in corners.

I have done both standard and lowered conversion on 2 of my Mark VIII's. I like bother very much. The Lowered is a bit rougher but handles a lot better.

I would purchase from American Air Suspension as Eddie will be a much better source for help.

They sell the same parts. Eddie will buy back your compressor to help lower the cost. He'll also buy back your old springs if damaged or you can sell your good bags on eBay.

Good Luck..

texstead said:
Thanks Dern for the update. I just thot of something else. What about shocks? Aren't the front shocks built in to the air strut? The rear shock are external...outside of the rear bags, right?
Would it be a good idea to replace the shocks?
Thanks again...

Front struts and springs come as one unit. The rear are springs.

If you are doing the job you should do the shocks also and be done with it.

Get some 1996 T-Bird Struts. I used Monroe. If you shock mounts are worn, clean out the old rubber bushings and replace them with the rubber bushings that come with the new shocks. This will save you the $35 per shock mount and work just as good. Also the T-Bird shocks will be a lot cheaper and fit with no problem.

I have t-bird coils and it was not hard to do, and pretty inexpensive.

04SSHD said:
I have t-bird coils and it was not hard to do, and pretty inexpensive.
Did you use the TBird coils on the rear. I want to make my own kit, and I am looking for ideas.

my95mark8 said:
Did you use the TBird coils on the rear. I want to make my own kit, and I am looking for ideas.

yep, you just need to weld something or make a bracket to hold the spring in on the top.

It depends what you want out of your car.. if you replace the rear bags/compressor they'll last another 100k. I'd get the spyder from Eddie for insurance.

The thing is, you can adjust height front to rear and rear shocks to make your car handle/handle bumps howEVER you want. The factory system is very friendly when you're picky about your ride. Most people here either disagree, or just don't know because they've never played with it. They may have sensor lowered their car, it might ride like :q:q:q:q because they didn't tune the heights (since the front of the car is heavier it DOES make a big difference) .. and then they switch to coil springs and think WOW. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO. It's not, unless you're not picky, and really care about saving the three hundred dollars so that you can't poke and play to reveal the true potential that your current air ride offers.

I just switched to springs last week but haven't driven the car all that much so I can't tell you too much. The switch is VERY easy. The hardest part is just getting the old suspension parts taken apart, like the UCA to steering knuckle, etc. The rear shocks are a breeze to change if you're already changing to coils. There is plenty of info and tech articles on the site here. Plus when you order, they send you decent instructions.

04SSHD said:
yep, you just need to weld something or make a bracket to hold the spring in on the top.
Got pics? I have a some ideas already, but I would like to see what other people have done.

Thanks Guys for all the input.
A question for Mespock...Are you talking about front struts for a '96 T Bird? Also are they self leveling or regular?
What kind of shocks would be good for the rear?

texstead said:
Thanks Guys for all the input.
A question for Mespock...Are you talking about front struts for a '96 T Bird? Also are they self leveling or regular?
What kind of shocks would be good for the rear?

Struts do not self level. Think of it as a shock with a coil going around it. Once the weight of the car is on them that is how it will sit. No leveling, just a static stance. There are no self leveling springs or struts avail on the market anywhere unless they are air or hydraulic.

[Struts do not self level. Think of it as a shock with a coil going around it. Once the weight of the car is on them that is how it will sit. No leveling, just a static stance. There are no self leveling springs or struts avail on the market anywhere unless they are air or hydraulic.]
The reason I asked is because I called Auto Zone & the guy asked me if they were regular or self leveling. Go figure!

[Struts do not self level. Think of it as a shock with a coil going around it. Once the weight of the car is on them that is how it will sit. No leveling, just a static stance. There are no self leveling springs or struts avail on the market anywhere unless they are air or hydraulic.[/quote]
The reason I asked is because I called Auto Zone & the guy asked me if they were regular or self leveling. Go figure![/QUOTE]

that is autozone for ya! Just make sure you tell them you are buying struts for a 1996 Ford Thunderbird and not a Lincoln Mark VIII

Members online

No members online now.
Back