convert or new air bags?

CFH

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
well, ive been driving around with a sinking front end since i got the car off of my girlfriends brother, wasnt much of a big deal at first, then got annoying, got airbags off another lincoln and an air compressor.

yesterday, my air compressor started dying on me, today i had to wait about a half hour for the front to raise up. lame.

anywho my question is, is a conversion worth the extra money? front air bags are 90 bucks with a lifetime warranty, and im gonna get an air compressor from pick n pull, tomorrow, if i can find a working one. otherwise i found one online for about 54 bucks.

and a full front conversion is about 225. plus air compressor 50 bucks.

another thing, i heard that if you convert the back shocks, it bottoms out. thats why i only want the front.

so in conclusion, new front bacgs 90 bucks, or a front conversion 225. is it worth the extra hundred something dollars?

For reliability, I would definately go with a coil conversion. I have never heard of anybody bottoming out with the coils... But, if you really want the air bags and they are lifetime guaranteed, knock yourself out. Just keep in mind, the air bags could $hit the bed when you are hundreds of miles away from home with no warning whatsoever. This is why I'm a big fan of coils, you can drive anywhere and not have to worry about a thing.

Stick with original equipment...stick with bags. You want a car with coils, buy a thunderbird. The stock bags lasted about 20 years; that's a pretty long term of reliability.

yeah, arnott gives you a helluva deal:

Our new Mark VII front air springs are manufactured with a new heavy duty air spring bladder from Phoenix Air Spring Technology in Germany. Each air spring is assembled and tested in the USA to insure the highest standard of quality. Our new air springs are so durable, that we back them with an unlimited mileage lifetime warranty. Each air spring includes a new seal kit.

New front air spring assembly. Price 92.00

Warranty Information: LIFETIME WARRANTY.

the only problem is that the last two air compressors ive had, both wont let air out. so i dunno if its even the compressor, or could be the computer, i would do the test, but i dont have the equipment to do it. so whenever a bunch of people would get out of the back, it woudl lift up to max height, thne i woul dhaveto pop the hood, unatach an air line, turn the key on and off, and close the door to lower them, its kinda funny how when id do that in public people would be like, "wtf" cuz not too many people even know about air suspension on lincolns.

i just hope the next air compressor solves that problem.

CFH said:
yeah, arnott gives you a helluva deal:

Our new Mark VII front air springs are manufactured with a new heavy duty air spring bladder from Phoenix Air Spring Technology in Germany. Each air spring is assembled and tested in the USA to insure the highest standard of quality. Our new air springs are so durable, that we back them with an unlimited mileage lifetime warranty. Each air spring includes a new seal kit.

New front air spring assembly. Price 92.00

Warranty Information: LIFETIME WARRANTY.

the only problem is that the last two air compressors ive had, both wont let air out. so i dunno if its even the compressor, or could be the computer, i would do the test, but i dont have the equipment to do it. so whenever a bunch of people would get out of the back, it woudl lift up to max height, thne i woul dhaveto pop the hood, unatach an air line, turn the key on and off, and close the door to lower them, its kinda funny how when id do that in public people would be like, "wtf" cuz not too many people even know about air suspension on lincolns.

i just hope the next air compressor solves that problem.
Contact Eddie Spinks at www.americanairsuspension.com he can answer your questions about the air ride system. I bought a rebuilt compressor from him over 2 years ago and it is still going strong, he also sells remanufactured air spring assemblies.

JoshMcMadMac said:
Stick with original equipment...stick with bags. You want a car with coils, buy a thunderbird. The stock bags lasted about 20 years; that's a pretty long term of reliability.

But just think, you could have a Mark 7 that would never, EVER look like $hit because it looks like a dog dragging its fat ass across the ground. The airbags in my '87 were 2-3 years old when they started leaking. If your going to have a car with class and style, dont ever let it have a chance to look like a $2 ghetto $hitbox that should be sitting in a yard in the projects... Coil springs will last you the life of the car, I'd say that is a better reliability than the air bags. I rest my case, to each his own I guess...:D

Thanks pepper. I can sell you the exact same air spring plus a REAL warranty you can use if need be. Not a bunch of excuses. I have specials all the time if you need the compressor too. http://www.americanairsuspension.com/mk7-comp-spring-combo.htm

Our rebuilt air compressors now carry a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty and come complete with a rebuilt dryer and mounting insulators. We even offer the shraeder valve on top of the head on Mark VII's just like the factory setup if you desire.

BTW, be careful buying a used compressor somewhere. These things don't hold up to well when they sit around for a long time.

http://www.americanairsuspension.com/

For reliability, I would definately go with new equipment replacement bags and parts. Just keep in mind, the air bags you install will be new equipment and are proven better than the OEM due to newer technology and manufacturing techniques. This is why I'm a big fan of new air bags; you can drive anywhere and not have to worry about a thing.

:)

Black87LSC said:
But just think, you could have a Mark 7 that would never, EVER look like $hit because it looks like a dog dragging its fat ass across the ground...

Riiggghhhhttt...until you put any weight in the rear of the vehicle, and the coil springs don't adjust, and next thing you know "it looks like a dog dragging its fat ass across the ground" :rolleyes:

CFH, the compressor does not release air itself, there is a vent solenoid in there that does it. It sound to me like a saturated dryer, though, not the compressor.

CFH, the compressor does not release air itself, there is a vent solenoid in there that does it. It sound to me like a saturated dryer, though, not the compressor.

I disagree. The Mark VII's aren't bad about moisture builup, they're bad about vent solenoid problems. A quick way to tell is to disconnect the dryer from the compressor and shut the door(leave air lines connected). If it drops like a rock, the vent solenoid IS the culprit.

Even though I resell the aftermarket stuff, if you had the money, NOTHING beats the New Ford air springs, NOTHING. We are hoping that the cheaper aftermarket springs will last as long as the Ford stuff, but we don't know yet, because they haven't been out very long. The Ford springs have been tried & true and usually last 5-10 years, sometimes as long as 15. You can't help but to get good at something when you make millions of them!

When i bought my Mark VII of some crazy guy in Cali the front end was lowered to the ground. When i started to work on it i found out that he converted the back of the M7 to coils and left the front with the stock bags so i pumped the bags in the front up and evened the car out but i still think its wierd that he would go through the trouble of converting the back to springs and leave the front alone.

American Air-1 said:
The Ford springs have been tried & true and usually last 5-10 years, sometimes as long as 15. You can't help but to get good at something when you make millions of them!
Ya know ... you're probably correct.

Our only way to (dis)prove this would be to have one side with OEM air springs and one side with aftermarket air springs and then drive the car until one side fails :)

In 1997, I had OEMs installed by Ford on my 1990 and have been happy with them ever since. I can only assume the manufacturing process would better with an aftermarket product manufactured ten or twelve years after production.

On a side note, one thing that we fail to mention is that the rear shocks do NOT assist ride height. Out rear shocks are primarily designed to keep our tires in contact with the road. Switching from bags to springs and then from shocks to super duty or heavy duty shocks, will not maintain the proper vehicle height once loaded.

ding ding :)

AlexM7newbie said:
When i bought my Mark VII of some crazy guy in Cali the front end was lowered to the ground. When i started to work on it i found out that he converted the back of the M7 to coils and left the front with the stock bags so i pumped the bags in the front up and evened the car out but i still think its wierd that he would go through the trouble of converting the back to springs and leave the front alone.
Probably cost.

His rear air springs probably failed and he was told to switch to coil springs and found it less expensive to go with just rears and effective to get just the rear up.

OldSchool1 said:
In 1997, I had OEMs installed by Ford on my 1990 and have been happy with them ever since. I can only assume the manufacturing process would better with an aftermarket product manufactured ten or twelve years after production.
ding ding :)

Phoenix rubber seems to be a good rubber, but don't get your hopes up. Nobody is as good as Goodyear or Firestone at the rolling lobe design. The New china struts use rubber from the same manufacturer and look how long they last? 2-3 years max? The only difference I see, is if Phoenix themselves does the whole thing, manufacture rubber as well as crimping on the base. I think they do the whole thing for the springs and I think thats what makes them good.

Theres only a few companies in the entire world that can make a rolling lobe air bladder. Trust me, I've been in contact with every one of them, including Phoenix, and its hard to find someone that can do that kind of design. I've been in contact with some of the biggest rubber companies on the planet and all of their salesman say up front...."Oh yeah, I'm sure we can do that". After they do some checking, then they come back and say...."Sorry, just the learning curve would cost $$$$$$$". Just when you think you've found someone, you find out they send their stuff out to Firestone or Goodyear.

How tough is the factory stuff? The rubber is 2 mm thick and lasts 5-10 years in that kind of environment without ever being cleaned or the rubber conditioned. Its going to be hard to beat that kind of track record.

Better than Goodyear or Firestone? I don't see it happening.

Several years ago, I had a rubber company in Texas make me my bladders. The head engineer was an Ex-Firestone guy. I found out why he was an Ex. The rubber wouldn't last.

Lets see....
Dunlop is owned by Goodyear.
Firestone has a contact with Ford and WILL NOT do anything automotive air spring/strut related.
Contitech is owned by Firestone(can't remember, either Firestone of Goodyear)
Phoenix is tied up with arnott.

American Air-1 said:
Several years ago, I had a rubber company in Texas make me my bladders. The head engineer was an Ex-Firestone guy. I found out why he was an Ex. The rubber wouldn't last.

Lets see....
Dunlop is owned by Goodyear.
Firestone has a contact with Ford and WILL NOT do anything automotive air spring/strut related.
Contitech is owned by Firestone(can't remember, either Firestone of Goodyear)
Phoenix is tied up with arnott.
Thanks Eddie.
Knowledge is power Brother and I'm now just a little more powerful :)

I'd like to do something on a Club level like a tech article or something featuring the air springs that you retail. Both of my 84's refuse to sink. Both have good air springs :) My 1988 is pure stock and NOBODY is touching them :) My 1989 is slammed to the ground but then again, she also has a blown head gasket so replaceing air springs there is pointless at this time. My 1990 has the FORD air springs previously mentioned. My Son's 1991 would be a prime candidate for a "replacement" tech article.

The Mark VII would be an easy one to do a tech article on, seeing how you can replace the front air springs without even taking the wheels off.

BTW, if you do an article, I'd like to use your pictures on my site if thats ok. I've done the job a thousand times, but everything is from memory and I have yet to figure out how to print pictures from that! ;)

http://www.americanairsuspension.com/MARK VII AREA.htm

American Air-1 said:
The Mark VII would be an easy one to do a tech article on, seeing how you can replace the front air springs without even taking the wheels off.

BTW, if you do an article, I'd like to use your pictures on my site if thats ok. I've done the job a thousand times, but everything is from memory and I have yet to figure out how to print pictures from that! ;)

http://www.americanairsuspension.com/MARK VII AREA.htm
Sure.
What's the zip code for Del Rio? We're based in Pennsylvania 19101 (with Members in ten states) and could possibly meet up.

As for the "printing from memory" idea, have you tried this?

http://www.timothyjordanshow.com/pictures/may27/alec_copier/variant/medium

you can seriously replace the air bags without taking the wheels off? ive always taken the wheels off when i changed em. probly hafta have the car on a rack huh?

What's the zip code for Del Rio? We're based in Pennsylvania 19101 (with Members in ten states) and could possibly meet up.

The zip is 37727. Running my own business and having 4 boys, I have very little extra time these days. Give me a shout with some advance warning ;) and I'll try to make it happen.

you can seriously replace the air bags without taking the wheels off? ive always taken the wheels off when i changed em. probly hafta have the car on a rack huh?

Oh yeah, you can do it without pulling the wheels off. You wouldn't necessarily need it on a rack, but at least a floor jack in the middle of the front.

American Air-1 said:
The zip is 37727. Running my own business and having 4 boys, I have very little extra time these days. Give me a shout with some advance warning ;) and I'll try to make it happen.
I still have four Boys at home too. Two of them are grow and gone with mortgages (YEAH BOY!)

Mapquest says it's just a little too far for a day trip for me (19018 to 37727)but we just picked up a Member in TN that could possibly undergo the proceedure.

To Be Continued ...

I like my coils. I don't trust old cars, thats why i fix em up. i figured that unless you replace every part in the system including the lines, you can't really be sure, can you? i enjoyed the air springs, and i enjoy them more now that they are in the dumpster.

I have the strutmaster springs in the front of my car and hate them, as soon as i get time im putting in a set of air springs. They ride lower than the airsprings which means I cant get the car within stock alignment specs without gettin c/c plates, and they bottom hard even with new shocks (motorcraft) when i go over average sized bumps.

Members online

Back