Considering buying a 2005 Cadillac STS V8... Who has one?

LincolnLSE

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently found a great deal on a 2005 Cadillac STS V8 4.6L 320 RWHP with only 31k miles. Light Platinum in color, totally loaded with Nav, moonroof, tire pressure control monitoring, etc... I could pick it up for only $20k.

I would like to hear from anyone who owns a same generation STS V8. What are your opinions of the vehicle? I would keep the 2002 LSE, but does anyone know how the two compare? What are the typical problems, annoyances, etc.?

Thanks!

Caddy1.jpg

Caddy2.jpg

Not much activity on your post. Seems like there are a lot more Lincoln owners here than Cadillac.
My wife wants an STS for her next car. I am looking at buying here a used one. I also am planning on keeping the LS for myself.

Doug

I got one !

Just got mine about a month ago, and I love it, I had a 1998 Lincoln Continental
with Sunroof, wheels, and 260 HP, I thought this car was the cats meoww.
IT was for the 3 or 4 years i had it,I tuned it when I got it, New battery, and that's it.
NOW ! I have a 2005 STS, with the 1SE package, which is the standard package, NO NAV, but Sunroof. it is fantastic, of course the lincoln, had
130,000 when i got it, and the Cad has 25,000 with the 320 HP N engine.
I always used to pull the gear down to 1 st at a street drag, but the Cad,
is SO fast you don't have the time to think to shift.
IT is 0-60 is less than 6 sec, on this forum is says 5.7, and flat 14's in 1/4.
it took me two weeks or more to figure out all the neat accessories,
including the fogs, and how to put them on, etc.
The tires they recommend are too small for the weight,I will be trying
larger tires without messing with the speedometer.
Fantastic Car, Just what I wanted for performance, and RWD.

By all means please buy it .The v8 sts is a beast and you will love it as I love mines and get rid of the stink'n Lincoln:C

I'm glad to see this thread. I'm looking for a 2006 STS, V8. I don't want the V6 because it's less horsepower but the gas mileage is only 1 mpg better than the V8. So might as well buy the beast. I would like to find one that is loaded for no more than 18K. I test drove a loaded an all-wheel drive V6 and it was one heck of a ride. Quite inside, leather seats, Bose radio, etc.

im thinking of getting one also, but i dont know if i want the rwd or the sts4? a v8 is a most. but has anyone had any repair issues? how much are parts? and how about up keep?

Audio system: Radio reception may be poor or have static because the rear window defogger may have invisible cracks in the grid lines. (2005-06)

Electrical problem: A voluntary recall was issued to reprogram the PCM on some high-feature 3.6L engines. (2005)

Fuel gauge: The engine may not start or may stall because the tank is empty yet the gauge shows fuel remaining, or the fuel gauge will not show full after refilling due to sulfur corrosion of the fuel level sender and if after treating with Fuel System Cleaner PLUS the problem remains, the sender may need to be replaced. (2005-06)

Oil leak: Oil leaks at the timing cover on 4.6L engines may require a gasket or a new timing cover. (2004-05)

Paint/body: Paint on the hood blisters and bubbles, requiring refinishing and repainting. (2005-06)

Value for the Money
This Cadillac impresses dynamically, and the availability of all-wheel drive and a bona fide high-performance STS-V edition are assets. AWD is a pricey proposition on V8 models, however, so kudos to Cadillac for making it a stand-alone option on V6s. Inside, STS disappoints with subpar rear-seat space and materials that are not in step with class pacesetters. On any model, extra-cost items can add quickly to the price, making an intelligently optioned V6 version the best value in this line.

dohc V6 3.6 / 217 254-302 252 5-speed automatic: 17.5/26 5-speed automatic: 16.2

dohc V8 4.6 / 278 320 315 5-speed automatic: 16.5/24.5 5-speed automatic: 16.4

Cadillac estimates 7.0 sec 0-60 mph for the V6, 5.9 for the base V8, and 4.8 for the muscular STS-V.

I just got my 2006 STS V 2 weeks ago this Monday and LOVE it!! I had a 2002 LS before this one. If you look at my profile you can see the last car or look at my Cardomain page. I have been looking for a STS V for over a year. You will not regret it. Just make sure you have a warranty just in case. Mine has 29k on her and she is Cadillac Certified until 6/100k. I know you are not looking at a V series but the V8 is very powerful and much more so than a LS.

P.S. Check out the Cadillac Owners Club http://www.cadillacforums.com
Much more action over there.

I owned a Lincoln Mark VII LSE SE for ten years. That was really fast and a wonderful car to drive. Was one of the last 50 Mark VII's ever made, so special edition candy apple cranberry paint and 5.0 High Output engine. I recently got an STS Northstar and it is like Wiley E. Coyote's car, with thirteen rockets strapped underneath the car when you hit the gas hard! Truly fast enough to get in trouble with!!!

2005 sts

I have a 2005 STS with only 25000 miles. It has all options but all wheel drive. It is a V-8 No dents no dings -real showroom condition. Must sell 2197417640 cell Sand storm is ext color . tan leather int no wear

The wife is looking for a 2005-2009 sts as she finds the dts to large, if she gets one i know i will be driving it as must as she will !!!

Members online

Back