compass mirrors? 2001 ls

b34nz

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i was looking around on eaby and found some mirrors that had a compass built in. but in my LS there is no compass, so could i just buy this mirror and pop it in? or do i have to rewire stuff to get the compass to work? or will the compass even work at all?

thanks

It will need a bit of wiring, but nothing major. The compass components are all part of the mirror package and mount over the mirror mount on the windshield. I've added mirrors with the compass, temp, auto-dim, etc to several cars.

One thing I would be concerned with though is the automatic rain sensor for the wipers. You need to make sure it will clear that. I don't have the car in front of me right now to tell you whether it will fit around that or not.

automatic rain sensor what is that never heard of it??? and is it on all 01 ls8 sports

Wicked_LS said:
automatic rain sensor what is that never heard of it??? and is it on all 01 ls8 sports

It's on my 01 LS8 Sport. I don't know about all of them having it. It's a box mounted to the inside of your windshield by the mirror.

2001LS8Sport said:
It's on my 01 LS8 Sport. I don't know about all of them having it. It's a box mounted to the inside of your windshield by the mirror.

Yup, it's an option. Two ways to tell if you have it is the box on the windshield and the AUTO setting on your wiper switch.

EDIT: I just got done looking at your photo gallery and it looks like you have it Wicked.

Ok,

It depends on what you had as standard equipment. Lincoln shows regular with auto-dim, and auto-dim with compass. The standard mirror has a 3 terminal connector, the other has a 5 pin.

1W4Z-17700-BA List $317.53 LVC $236.44 (with compass)
XW4Z-17700-BA List $121.43 LVC $190.52

The you can get a whole Accessory kit that comes with all new wiring and everything to add the unit.

F6AZ-17700-A List $234.22 LVC $174.40

I was thinking of doing this too, so are you saying you have to buy the wiring kit to change the standard mirror to the one with the compass if your car came with the standard mirror?

Take this from experience also look at your service dvd. I have a 2000 that didn't come with the option for the compass mirror. I put a compass mirror from a 02 in my LS. everyone will tell you that the compass mirror take a five connector harness but it really only uses three wires the same three wires that you current mirror uses. you just nip the rasied edges off your connector and it will slide right in the new compass mirror. NO REWIRING REQUIRED just use the service dvd to determine which prongs to put your connector. The only problem you will have is how and where to mount the compass because you have to separate it from the mirror housing if you have the rain sensor at least I did in my 2000

ovsims said:
Take this from experience also look at your service dvd. I have a 2000 that didn't come with the option for the compass mirror. I put a compass mirror from a 02 in my LS. everyone will tell you that the compass mirror take a five connector harness but it really only uses three wires the same three wires that you current mirror uses. you just nip the rasied edges off your connector and it will slide right in the new compass mirror. NO REWIRING REQUIRED just use the service dvd to determine which prongs to put your connector. The only problem you will have is how and where to mount the compass because you have to separate it from the mirror housing if you have the rain sensor at least I did in my 2000

got pics?? :D

here's some

000_0978.JPG

000_0981.JPG

000_0977.JPG

ovsims said:

You need to remember there are two different manufacturers. One is Gentex, and I can't remember the other. Both will fit and work...but take different plugs. Ford has used both.

Nonetheless. If you want to do this mod you can.
Is is easy. Yes
Do you have to rewire. Probably not

It will need a bit of wiring, but nothing major. The compass components are all part of the mirror package and mount over the mirror mount on the windshield. I've added mirrors with the compass, temp, auto-dim, etc to several cars.

One thing I would be concerned with though is the automatic rain sensor for the wipers. You need to make sure it will clear that. I don't have the car in front of me right now to tell you whether it will fit around that or not.

i was looking around on eaby and found some mirrors that had a compass built in. but in my LS there is no compass, so could i just buy this mirror and pop it in? or do i have to rewire stuff to get the compass to work? or will the compass even work at all?

thanks

2001LS8Sport....I have the compass version with rain sensor and the compass display shows a mix of various symbols. Sometimes it displays the direction correctly, not often. The other displays in this mirror work fine. Any idea what is the fix? The mirror, the upper mounted electronics or voltage issues, solder joints?

I have to replace front windshield it's expensive due to the rain sensor the bill is coming to $320 with installation and tax

2001LS8Sport....I have the compass version with rain sensor and the compass display shows a mix of various symbols. Sometimes it displays the direction correctly, not often. The other displays in this mirror work fine. Any idea what is the fix? The mirror, the upper mounted electronics or voltage issues, solder joints?

Not guaranteed but you might consider pulling both battery terminal connections for longer than 30mins, followed by the compass recalibration procedure as listed in your Owners Manual.

Worth a shot.

Not guaranteed but you might consider pulling both battery terminal connections for longer than 30mins, followed by the compass recalibration procedure as listed in your Owners Manual.

Worth a shot.
These LS's have a very sensitive electrical system I've found so that might be worth a try. It's amazing these cars will not operate normal if the battery is below spec even though your alternator is putting out normally. Thx for input.

Members online

No members online now.
Back