cold starts suck

AVEY10

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well lately the mark has been getting a little rougher on cold starts and takes about 10. Or so minutes for the engine to get up to par. It seems to be misfiring, but also if its short on fuel. This morning i left work and couldnt even get up to 15mph cause the car wouldnt get past 2k rpm and then itd get up to about 3k or so but then itd fall back down then after that it acts as perfectly fine, and when its all fine when im crusin around town and put it up to 6k or so its fine, but in the country where i put it up to 90-100mph area it feels like its studering when its around those speeds with the high rpms.

Kinda stumped on this one, dont know if its plugs, wires, the packs, injectors, filter, or pump.

Wake up about 30 minutes earlier before you need to leave, go out and pull your spark plugs... Lay them out and snap a pic of the electrodes.. Double check the gap on each and SLIDE them back into the head, don't just drop them in there! ;)

Checking them first thing in the morning is best, this will insure a cold plug and nothing has had a chance to burn off from sittin over-night

get plat 4 plugs and don't worry about gap
That is the dumbest post I ever saw you post and thats saying something.

+4 and +2 plugs are almost the worst plug you can buy. Just get the copper plugs as they work best.

check for air leaks around the intake.
i had a stumble around 3 grand when cold that i fixed with new o2s. or it went away soon after i replaced them. shrug. not exactly sure.
+1 on copper plugs.
and check your fuel pressure while its acting like that.

Because they can't be gapped properly, and it spreads the spark instead of
Keeping it together, and platinum isnt really a good conductor, that word just sounds like Bling in your head so you buy it

I've tried countless brands and makes of spark plugs, even the new E3s (total garbage)

That is the dumbest post I ever saw you post and thats saying something.

+4 and +2 plugs are almost the worst plug you can buy. Just get the copper plugs as they work best.

x2 they are complete junk. they last like 20k MAX

i had the same cold engine blues. unplug your maf and see if it feels better. it will be hard to get off idle, but if it smooths out your 3k miss just clean the maf.

please explain why they are the worst?
They are the cause of countless missfires. They dont last long at all and are easily blown out, blown out as in forced induction applications. They dont burn clean and are a gimmick to get people to waste money.

You want a good plug that lasts forever then get a Motorcraft Plat. If you want an excellent plug that will need to be replaced in 40-50k then get a Motorcraft/NGK/Autolite cheap ol copper plug. They will give the best burn and be the gentalist on the coils. Platinum is hard to make spark with and loads the coils more thus killing them faster.

you want a good plug that lasts forever then get a motorcraft plat. Blah blah blah blah blah blah
platinum is hard to make spark with and loads the coils more thus killing them faster.

No more safety meetings for you

Could bad o2 sensor or catalytic convertor also cause it??

Was going home today and as i was gettin up to speed around 4k at 50 the engine cut out. Tried startin her back up but would cut back out after 10 or so seconds. Let it set for several hours got it started back up but smoke was puffin out just a foot back from the convertor and i pulled the oil cap and smoke was comin out of there to.

Gotta love buyin a damn lemon.

Platinum Plugs

I remembered when those platinums first came out. They were supposed to be so superior and last 100K+ miles. We have replaced SO MANY of those plugs in regular tune ups where there is literally NO TIP LEFT. I'm gonna go look if I have some pics somewhere......

Oh, here they are! Check these out ladies & gentlemen:

112300_125200.jpg

To answer the OP:

Check your fuel pressure first. You might have a pump dying.

those are platinums?

Yes they are; same as the ones laying on the workbench in the background. I can't remember the brand right now, but I'll edit this post when I do.

To answer the OP:

Check your fuel pressure first. You might have a pump dying.

...or the fuel filter. I had great pressure and problems with my Thunderbird. I took off the fuel filter anyways, and it was completely plugged; I don't know how ANY fuel got through it?!?!

I remembered when those platinums first came out. They were supposed to be so superior and last 100K+ miles. We have replaced SO MANY of those plugs in regular tune ups where there is literally NO TIP LEFT. I'm gonna go look if I have some pics somewhere......

Oh, here they are! Check these out ladies & gentlemen:

112300_125200.jpg
Those are quite crispy! :lol:

This was #4 on the Crown Vic. No wonder it had a missfire. :lol:

IMG_20111116_120216.jpg

Those are quite crispy! :lol:

This was #4 on the Crown Vic. No wonder it had a missfire. :lol:

IMG_20111116_120216.jpg

Ooh spark plug pictures. They look horrible.

Here some motorcraft plat plugs that came out the rear head of my 99 SHO when I had my cams welded. No wonder the cat basically ate itself from the inside out :D . The plugs had 162K on them :eek:

mail

Here's the worst one from the bunch
mail

Ooh spark plug pictures. They look horrible.

Here some motorcraft plat plugs that came out the rear head of my 99 SHO when I had my cams welded. No wonder the cat basically ate itself from the inside out :D . The plugs had 162K on them :eek:

mail

Here's the worst one from the bunch
mail

???

Members online

Back