coil #1 V6

jpownell

LVC Member
Reaction score
Question guys. 2004 LS v6 with 147k miles. coils have been replaced around 80k from previous owner. after i changed out a cat and o2 sensor, i got a cylinder #1 misfire code. most likely bad coil because im getting the infamous misfire while the engine is cold and then runs fine when its warmed up. has anyone succesfully replaced the coil #1 without removing the intake manifold? i can see the coil and can have access to it but not sure if i can pull it out without taking off the intake. any input helps. thanks!

Justin

You're wasting your time.
It's been long enough that you need to replace all six coils and all six spark plugs again.

At the very least, it's a bad idea to replace the #1 coil without replacing the #1 spark plug.

well i was planning on doing the plug too. cause a bad plug will kill a new coil too. i dont have the funds to do all 6 right now. now if i have to take the intake off i'll be better off sucking it up and take off the intake and do all 6. but if i can temporarily do just the one coil without removing the manifold i'd rather do that for now

OP:your plugs are probably bad, based on info given.

i think its worth noting that some sets of plugs can quite easily outlast most oem coils, for anyone else happening to be reading this.

OP: as for replacing one coil when you need to do them all, it depends what you call 'temporary'... a week to a month, maybe. i think you will see the issue quickly reappear in that timeframe. bc one of the other coils will exhibit the same problem 1 is currently exhibiting.

Many people have said they have done all cops and plugs on Gen2 V6 without removing intake. ITS TIGHT but someone has done it.

ultimately i dont want to replace one coil now and then just have to end up doing others in a month or so. if push comes to shove i'll just suck it up and do all 6 im just trying to avoid it lol the back coil on the passenger side looks real deep and nearly impossible w/o removing the intake so its probably just a less pain in the ass to just remove the whole thing and do a good cleaning and replace all coils and plugs at once.

cylinder 1 looks possible only issue is clearance since the coil itsself is kind of long. that and getting the plug out as well. def would need to take the manifold off though for #2 and #3 coils.

i would imagine it would involve seperating the coil spring and boot from the module. removal would be easy, i dont remember how difficult it would be to get the coil and module back together with the coil and boot already in the hole.
plugs might be too tight of a squeeze to get in & out

Members online

Back