code 1262 defrost door actuator circuit failure

coleio1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
As the thread title states im having this code appear when doing self test on climate controls. Air is barely coming through defrost vents but on rest of the vents it comes out strong. Has anyone had to replace the actuator? Or know where its located? I have a 2006 lincoln. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

so from looking at the service manual i have to take off the dash cover to access the defrost door actuator. Correct?

so from looking at the service manual i have to take off the dash cover to access the defrost door actuator. Correct?

Depends on what you are calling "the dash cover." There are two small cover pieces that have to come off to be able to remove the instrument cluster. Once you remove the instrument cluster, you reach in the hole where the cluster was to access the actuator.

Here are the steps in order...
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x1c007.htm~gen~ref.htm
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x1c006.htm~gen~ref.htm
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xd1004.htm~gen~ref.htm
(note that you do not need to download parameters, but you do need to disconnect the battery)
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc1025.htm~gen~ref.htm

ok. that was my other question i was going to ask. since im not changing out the instrument cluster for a different one i shouldnt need to download the data to put on another. i had called a local lincoln dealer and they told me it would be around $300 total to change it. i looked online and found the part from $35-$65. so i think i will do it myself. doesnt seem like its that hard to do. thanks for all your help on this matter.

the part number for this in the workshop manual online is 19E616. Can anyone tell me the updated part number? i was on rock auto and that part number is not a choice.

they have on the fordpartsgiant site 4 choices of 19E616A, 19E616B, 19E616C, 19E616D, 19E616E. i just dont know which to buy. and on rock auto it doesnt even list 19E616 in the part numbers. unless im not looking at the right section.

ive still came nowhere on this issue. on tasca they say it could be panel door actuator or defrost door actuator. the code i have is 1262 defrost door actuator failure. air barely comes out of defrost vents and comes out of the front vents forceful. has anyone done this repair before? if i replace the actuator that is behind the instrument cluster on the drivers side would that be the panel door or defrost door actuator? thanks.

Need to do this. I'm assuming I don't need to remove the steering column reinforcement screws, but without being able to really get at it yet I was hoping somebody would know how necessary the torque specifications are.

Bump
I think I am about to have to do this as well. Anyone have anything further regarding this repair?
TIA

Update: So I had ended up finally doing the defrost mode door actuator at the beginning of the winter. The part worked for about a month. I am not just getting around to replacing it yet again, literally right now. I wanted to see if anyone knew what could cause it to fail prematurely. What could make this part continuously fail??
TIA

What was the brand? I've heard that some (many or all?) aftermarket are not very good and don't last too long.
I've also heard that a fault in the DATC can cause it to over run the servo motors and kill them that way. (I've heard this in relation to the fresh air door servo, but I assume it could apply to any of them.)

What was the brand? I've heard that some (many or all?) aftermarket are not very good and don't last too long.
I've also heard that a fault in the DATC can cause it to over run the servo motors and kill them that way. (I've heard this in relation to the fresh air door servo, but I assume it could apply to any of them.)

Joe, I'm not gonna lie: I cheaped out and didn't go OEM.
Come to find out, the first time I did it, I didn't tighten the 3 screws down all the way, mostly the very back and top one. I had a hell of time working in those tight quarters.
The vendor I purchased it from on eBay was very cool and sent me a new one, free of charge.
When I just went to replace it, the white arm/hook that connects into the black arm/hook of the defrost door, had actually hopped out of place. I'm assuming the actuator didn't even go bad, it just wasn't properly opening/closing the arm to the door.
I just put the new one in and made sure to very snugly fit all screws into their place. Took a little longer than it probably should have, but it works again and that actuator isn't moving.

Thanks for chiming in again, Joe!

Side note: I did this in about half the time as the first time I did it. I had a horrible time trying to squeeze that instrument cluster out/in the first time around. Wasn't nearly as bad this time! lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back