Cobra IRS Swap.

Cbecker1994Vlll

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if a Cobra IRS would swap into my 94 Mark? If so I was wondering if they are a better up grade and/or stronger then stock? I currently have a one-tire-frier so the whole idea behind the swap would be to fix that problem. If this swap is possiable what all do i need to do it?
Thanks for any help given.

Cbecker1994Vlll said:
Can anyone help me? If this swap isn't possiable someone please let me know so i am not hangin here like an A$$.

Sorry I didnt see this earlier. Its a cake job to swap, you will need a driveshaft (metal matrix composite) and a speedo gear as well as about 4-5 hours for labor.

I don't think all that stuff will make much of a difference, just put 4.10s in the pumpkin and swap that.

The half shaft will be there when the stock engine isn't. If you build up a forged mill for it, then I think it may be worth considering.

well i will deal with forged part when that time comes. But for now I am worried about the one tire fire. And I can get the Cobra IRS for cheaper the just buying the trak-lok and the rebuild kit

the mounting points arent the same for the cobra IRS vs our IRS. would probably require some serious modifications and fabrication to get it to work.
if you have access to the whole IRS subframe that cheap, pull it and sell it. you can get around $1000-$1200 for it, that would fund alot of things on your car.

Oh I plan on it.:) What ever breaks on my Mark (tranny, motor, ect), if it can be replaced by something off of or out of the cobra, I will try my hardest to get it on or in, the my Mark. And with a website like this I have a great resource center along with the people to egg me on to do it. (Talkin about the beleivers and the haters).:headbang:
Thanks All

Geno said it was a cake swap!? What kinda seroius mods would be required. All thought I am not aposed to that kinda extra cash to fund a sic ride

Cbecker1994Vlll said:
Geno said it was a cake swap!?

I believe he was referring to swapping the differential housing(pumpkin) ONLY and not the entire subframe assembly.

If the car was rolled, I wouldn't want the subframe assembly if it did swap.

You can us any internal parts of the 8.8 housing such as the trac-lock differential and gears, but I believe the half-shafts are different lengths and different splines on the '03 Cobra. You need different side gears for the differential. I think you can swap the hubs, but the control arms are entirely different.

Hey driller thanks for getting me straightened out on that, I ma just going with the pumpkin now (obviously). thank you for all the help on this guys

well, the 03-04 cobra pumpkin has a different DS flange as well as the spider gears to match the 31 splines half shafts. You have to swap the spider gears and the flange.

Halfshafts are actually shorter on the cobra, so even those cannot be swapped to the lincoln IRS setup.

The 99 Cobra pumpkins are a direct bolt in though.

Members online

No members online now.
Back