Clunking noise when turning wheel to the right. Advice please?

Uberck

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I recently noticed this odd sound when turning the wheel to the right. Rather than explain, I'll let the video do the talking:

https://goo.gl/photos/2De8jT3eZuHidJkX8

Any ideas what this is? Steering rack? CV joint? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Hey guys. I recently noticed this odd sound when turning the wheel to the right. Rather than explain, I'll let the video do the talking:

https://goo.gl/photos/2De8jT3eZuHidJkX8

Any ideas what this is? Steering rack? CV joint? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Have you checked all the trim around the wheel? The U-joint before the shaft passes through the firewall? I would get under the the steering column and spin the wheel to try and eliminate the sound coming from inside.

... CV joint? ...!

Rear wheel drive, no CV joints in the front. (There are two U-joints on the steering shaft between the firewall and the rack.)

Is it driving/steering correctly? No loose bolts at the tie-rod ends or ball-joints?

Have you checked all the trim around the wheel? The U-joint before the shaft passes through the firewall? I would get under the the steering column and spin the wheel to try and eliminate the sound coming from inside.

Thanks LS4me, will definitely have to check that out once the weather gets a little better. It's freezing outside and full of snow ATM.

Rear wheel drive, no CV joints in the front. (There are two U-joints on the steering shaft between the firewall and the rack.)

Is it driving/steering correctly? No loose bolts at the tie-rod ends or ball-joints?

It is driving and steering correctly. Have not touched the tie rods or ball-joints since ownership. We replaced the front hubs but I don't think we touched any ball-joints in the process...

I know 3 things that can cause the clunk, 1st is the sway bar boots are old and loose, replace them (cheap), 2nd steering tie rod ends replace them (cheap), upper or lower ball joints, check them for play and replace, top ones are easy.

Members online

Back