Clunk from rear when accelerating from stop

dreigen

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 LS V8 with 160,000 miles. About two weeks ago the vehicle suddenly started to have a regular banging/clunking from the rear end near the rear differential when accelerating from a dead stop. The noise and clunk only persists for about 10 feet or 2 sec and doesn't happen when accelerating if I'm already moving. Also if I allow the car to roll for a few feet and then accelerate it does not happen. The noise/clunk increases in intensity when I accelerate harder.

sounds dangerous, and something that will get worse (and more expensive) the more you drive... I was going to have you check u joints, but a repeating "clunk" doesn't seem to match.

Yeah I was thinking that at first too. It started suddenly with no gradual indications of noise and only from a stop. If I slow to 5 mph and then accelerate there is no noise or clunk. It sounds and feels to be coming from the middle rear around the rear differential as far as I can tell.

When I test drove my 2002, I heard a noise from the rear as well and was not entirely surprised to find the Jack/Spare Tire were loose.

I'll check that out. It is like 5 or 6 fairly evenly spaced clunks though.

Center bearing on the driveshaft will cause a loud thumping that sounds like its coming from the rear. My V6 MT started doing this just during clutch release when pushed hard in first gear. Eventually it was when ever starting out in first gear only lasted until the maybe 5 -10 mph. Could not get it to do it if I was not releasing the clutch from a dead stop. Unfortunately you can't really check it without dropping the exhaust and the heat shield. But its not hard to change (if the part is still available).

If you haven't already checked the lug nuts on your rear wheels to make sure they're tight it couldn't hurt.

I pulled the heat shield and indeed the center bearing is shot. The bearing is pulled entirely away from the metal mounting. Thanks for the info man.

Now just get one from FoMoCo or RockAuto (RA lists it for $73 under drivetrain/driveshaft center support) and change it. Watch those weighted nuts and bolts on the driveshaft rubber isolated. They're there for balance so they have to go back in the same position they came out of.

Does anyone happen to have the service manual to change out the center drive shaft bearing on a 2000? I need the torque specs and if anyone the manual that would be awesome

Members online

No members online now.
Back