clockspring on salvaged cars

lincolnelite

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
what are the odds of getting a busted clockspring on the salvage yard? do owners care if their clockspring is bad and replace it soon?

trying to figure out if extracting the clockspring is worth the effort or just a waste of time. I know this is a common issue among 1st gen.

Depends on where you are and how much time you have to tinker with it. My local yard only has two 1st gens and both are pretty stripped of the common parts.

Maybe pull one just to see how easy it is to screw up before you buy one and do your car.

It's a wear item. It will fail with use. A used one just means that it will fail that much sooner.

Speaking of a clock spring, I have a 2001 V8 with 103,000 miles and all indications it's clock spring needs to be replaced. Is this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-AIR-BAG-CONTACT-CLOCK-SPRING-NEW-2000-2002-LINCOLN-LS-2002-FORD-THUNDERBIRD-/261091014688?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALS|Year%3A2001|Make%3ALincoln&hash=item3cca3cb820&vxp=mtr the correct clock spring? Think I've read around here that Tasca is OK to buy from.

Tasca, Rock Auto, Chapman Ford, Ford Parts Giant........ All good sources. Tasca's prices can be cheaper on their web site.

I would avoid junkyard clocksprings.
There's no steering wheel lock. The rack prevents the steering wheel from turning beyond the clockspring's reach. Once it's disconnected, the wheel can spin and really break the clockspring. Steering columns get disconnected a lot.

Granted, it may be worth a shot to get a busted car back on the road, but it's also likely wasted time and money.

trying to figure out if extracting the clockspring is worth the effort or just a waste of time. I know this is a common issue among 1st gen.

It's a common problem on most every car as the miles pile on...... Had to do one on an '82 LeBaron (K-car).

certain parts you need to get new for the ls. clocksprings, degas bottle or any cooling components , coils, solenoid pack, dccv and window regulators you should always get new for our cars

I got a credit from the boneyard on the jaguar air intake I pulled more than a week ago, so trying to find a part that I could yank out to make use of it. No cash refunds.

i dont think all of the problems attributed to 'bad clockspring' are necessarily correct. my steeringwheel's volume and radio station buttons will be wonky every blue moon and then be fine for 10 months after simply pressing them with force a time or two.
the sticky guide is great here but theres always exceptions..
what is the actual symptom you are experiencing that makes you think you have a busted clockspring?

I have aftermarket head-unit too, but I am still using the factory radio control buttons on the steering wheel.

It's nice to have that working but I need to buy the remote adapter (PAC or SWI) to make it work with the steering controls. There's no point installing it when the clockspring is broken initially.

Members online

No members online now.
Back