Clock spring :(

Sapperfire

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone with a 2nd Gen parts car?? I need a CS for my 98, but may be interested in the entire column

I have hung the wheel/column on the edge of a workbench. I loosened the nut in the middle of the wheel. I then put the air chisel on the nut and it loosened the wheel up. Remove the nut and remove the wheel. Hope this helps.

Can rent a steering wheel puller from most parts places. Or the table method, let me know if ya get it apart :) thanks

Honk the horn

Which now makes me wonder if its not working because my CC module is unplugged, hmm

I relocated my CC module, but haven't made the harness extension yet. I installed some different horn trumpets from a different kinda car, they both work, but not when you press the horn buttons on the steering wheel

Yeah mine is for a Gen 1. I looked for a long time to find a new one. I could just be slow though.;)

clockspring.jpg

Honk the horn

Which now makes me wonder if its not working because my CC module is unplugged, hmm

I relocated my CC module, but haven't made the harness extension yet. I installed some different horn trumpets from a different kinda car, they both work, but not when you press the horn buttons on the steering wheel

My cs went bad (srs light code 32) a little over year ago. I still had the horn, the cc was the only thing that didn't work.

Honk the horn

Not the same car but, but a similar problem. I had to disconnect my horn on my 01 Town Car because it would not shut off, figured I would just pull the fuse....ended up disabling the CC, so I just unplugged the horns.....ended up disabling the CC again. Finally found a way around it. So sounds plausible that module could be your problem.

Any one actually opened one up? There got to be a way to just run a continuity check on it.

Can rent a steering wheel puller from most parts places. Or the table method, let me know if ya get it apart :) thanks

Had a puller but one thread in the wheel got striped out so a heli coil was installed and it came of after that. PM me or luke (Slowmkviii).

Lol..... towing it with a town car. I don't know why but that cracks me up.

I've towed several cars, boats, engines and everything else with that car. I mainly use it to haul the "T" around to different car shows. For all I’m concerned the only reason I need a truck is for 4 wheel drive.

I've towed several cars, boats, engines and everything else with that car. I mainly use it to haul the "T" around to different car shows. For all I’m concerned the only reason I need a truck is for 4 wheel drive.

Good point, and the T probably weighs next to nothing

All 7 wires ohm out.
One mounting tab is broken pic 1
Chunk missing from ID (my fault) pic 2
Need a pic to make sure i put the cover back on correct
it was already half off so I'm not sure if i have the ribbon in the correct place.

2013-02-08_06-33-26_261.jpg

2013-02-08_10-58-40_138.jpg

This weekend I'll go cut a harness off the 95 and wire up my CC module and see what that does..

My cs went bad (srs light code 32) a little over year ago. I still had the horn, the cc was the only thing that didn't work.
I've had a code 32 on my 97 ever since I bought in January 2008...everything still works though. I suspect the air bag wouldn't deploy if I got in an accident though. As curious as I was, I figured it would be best not to test that....
Any one actually opened one up? There got to be a way to just run a continuity check on it.

I've opened one up before. It's fairly easy getting it back together too. There are little "tracks" molded into the 2 halves that show you exactly where the ribbon cable needs to go.

I'm just looking for one for sale, preferably a working one
If I end up not needing it, I've got a spare parts box it can live in

All 7 wires ohm out.
One mounting tab is broken pic 1
Chunk missing from ID (my fault) pic 2
Need a pic to make sure i put the cover back on correct
it was already half off so I'm not sure if i have the ribbon in the correct place.

here's a spare one I have, hope these pics help. @ Sapper, if you are interested, I have it zip-tied right where it was when I took it off the steering shaft, lmk how much

888D4CE1-DE68-4CE3-9B43-1A8ED102D86C-794-0000003F4C5A438D_zpsacbf3fc8.jpg

EE596DD6-6F5E-4E60-A268-107160FCD06A-794-0000003F4797B1B3_zpsb2e028f2.jpg

Members online

Back