Climate Control System

Daniellereagen

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me why the lights in use on this system blink sometimes? Heat, air, Vent, Hi or Low Fan...makes no difference. Drives me crazy

Climate control flashes the display or the LED lamps when it detects actuator and other faults. Actuators are the things that open and close vents and flaps inside the dash.

The system has a self-test. It can be done at any time (engine running or not, etc).

Push OFF/AUTO and DEFROST simultaneously. Release them and (within two seconds) press A/C .

Error codes found during that test as well as any error codes stored in memory, found during normal operation, will be shown.

To exit the test mode, press the COOL button.

there are about 15 possible error codes.. 01, 02 up to 15.
88 means no faults found. (I think 09 and 10 are the same as 88 unless they appear along with other codes.)

I felt the same way about it.. Even with shop manuals, getting into the guts of the dash is daunting.

My problem started when parked in sub-zero temps in a hotel parking lot. I didn't warm the car interior thoroughly enough before turning on the heat. I heard a sort of grinding sound in the dash. One of the frozen vent flaps or actuators had skipped or slipped a gear tooth or something.

Things were tolerable.. perhaps no heat was available from the floor or maybe from the defroster... but it slowly got worse over a couple years. The electronics got confused and sometimes wouldn't allow any heat or cooling from anywhere.
It gets both hot and cold around here so that's a bad thing.

Eventually, while working on something else (heater core replacement from the engine compartment) I located the offending flap, removed the Climate Control box to access it, "hacked" the wiring so I could run that vent-flap back and forth to the limits of its travel several times.

Something slipped back to where it belonged and I've had no problems since.

Members online

No members online now.
Back