climate control making a whooshing sound

jruppert

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ive owned my 03 LS since March and i've noticed when running climate control I hear this whooshing sound every minute or so. Its a gradual increase in sound until it lets out this whooosh and then it goes away. Then you start to hear it build up again after a minute. It is rather annoying.. My thoughts were the blend door. Has anyone come across something like this before?

There isn't a blend door. These cars have a DCCV (google that and you'll see lots of posts about them).

Is this only when you are using A/C, or heat as well? If it's only A/C look at recharging your refrigerant, although people usually describe that as a long hiss rather than whooshing sound.

I too suspect that you are hearing the AC expansion valve due to the refrigerant level being low. You may have a leak, but it's possible that you just need some refrigerant added to replace what very slowly out gasses through the hoses. It wouldn't be at all unreasonable after eleven years.

Thanks for the help. The sound is a whoosh or hiss sound. Its like something is slowly building up pressure and then it releases. To be honest, I didnt think the AC was all that cold this summer. I should start with recharging it.

Bought a can of refrigerant for $30. Fixed the problem so far. When starting out, the gauge read on the low end. After using the entire can, which was a decent size, it was closer to the middle area but still on the low end. We shall see how long this lasts.

Members online

No members online now.
Back