cleaning engine

CaddiLvr

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have some good advice how to clean the engine. Is there any special cleaner to use and is it ok to spray the engine with water at a car wash. Just want to make sure i dont hurt the engine while cleaning it. Thanks for the help.

You can use some stuff like Simple Green or other type of degreaser. I just take every precaution to make sure that the plug wires and boots do not get wet. I also try to wrap up with towels any exposed electrical connections so they do not get doused with water. Don't do thing like soak the alternator, etc. Be judicious in the use of the water only aiming where you really need it. The rest of the stuff like wiring usually can be wiped clean without much effort.

I use easy-off oven cleaner on the tuff spots spray it on, start up your engine, let it warm up as you drive to the car wash keep it running as you spray it off. Wash the outside well and you are set.

For those of you who say don't spray the plug wires, every car dealer ship sprays every part of an engine with a power washer, if they clean them at all, IT WILL NOT HURT! don't spray a hot engine (hot being normal operating temp.)
If you develop a miss it is because you could have bad plug wires or need some Dielectric grease in your plug wire boots and slip them back on the plug.

what I do is drive the car up to the car wash (engine COLD). Soak it down with some simple green and let it soak for a good 10 mins or so. Pull it into a wash bay, cover anything you don't want wet. Hose it down and wipe off any excess grease/grime

works like a charm :)

SC_Steve said:
what I do is drive the car up to the car wash (engine COLD). Soak it down with some simple green and let it soak for a good 10 mins or so. Pull it into a wash bay, cover anything you don't want wet. Hose it down and wipe off any excess grease/grime

works like a charm :)

Exactly what I do, and I use the Simple Green Automotive with the foaming tip....works perfectly. Just make sure to cover the alternator with a bag or something that will keep the water out, or you will be buying a new one before you know it...... :Beer

At most car washes there is something for an engine clean. Its green at our car wash. I used it one time awhile back. I havnt used it since. Reason I used it, had a leak in the power steering. Then got it fixed. Then got it cleaned. (84 LSC OVR CST)

Sifrino3 said:
At most car washes there is something for an engine clean. Its green at our car wash. I used it one time awhile back. I havnt used it since. Reason I used it, had a leak in the power steering. Then got it fixed. Then got it cleaned. (84 LSC OVR CST)

Actually all that is is the same soap you use on the car....just not as diluted as it is for the outside of the car.

Simple Green!

1. Wet Engine Lightly

2. Spray On

3. Start Up

4. Let Run for a Couple Minutes

5. Hose Off

6. Repeat if any spots missed

Gunk Foamy Engine Bright

Is what I use. Hose the engine compartment down, spray the foam in various area's, let it sit for 2 minutes, hose off. Took my car to get the oil changed and they asked if I ever drove the car after the opened the hood. :)

Members online

Back