chrome molding

95mark8newyork

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I can find the stuff to replace the chrome around the bumpers and moldings, but for the life of me i cannot find the same thing in black. I want to get the same thing as the chrome to replace the old chrome on the car but i need it in black. Anyone know where i can find it? Any links would be great, thanks

It is time consuming and the more time you put into prepping it, the better the outcome will be. You can never use enough water when wet sanding. I had many many other pictures and still do somewhere on a memory card but the server I had a lot of them on decided they didn't want to serve anymore. My entire top looked awful and for under $30, I had it looking nice and slick again. Maaco couldn't have done any better than I did with Dupli-Color rattle cans.

I also had a garage to work in and that does help. I would not paint that grille unless you just really are going for the blacked out look. Most only do theirs because they look bad anyway. Just remember, take your time with prep. I have another write up somewhere but it does not include any pictures because of the server shutting down. Not saying your top needs to be done but it explained a little more in detail about what I used to get the finish I ended up with. I'll see if I can find the Sony memory stick I have the pics on and upload them to Photo Bucket later on.

I found some but right now I can't find the other pics that I took of what it looked like before. The whole top was splotchy. The clear coat was peeling on both sides of the top and it looked bad. All I can find right now are "after pics" and none of these show the complete finish after all the final wet sanding, polishing and waxing.

Painting011.jpg

Painting009.jpg

Only one coat of clear was applied here. I do remember that.

Painting010.jpg

Painting008.jpg

Painting007.jpg

Painting006.jpg

Painting004.jpg

Reflection is of popcorn ceiling and garage door wiring.

Painting003.jpg

Painting002.jpg

Painting001.jpg

Almost final here without polishing and waxing but I was giving the paint & clear about a week or so to cure out.

Finalsteps4.jpg

That looks great, eventually i need to have the top re-painted. It looks like its hazing, have some splotches too, it looks crappy and ill get it painted soon. Yours came out really good, nice job. Having a closed place to work in does help too lol, although i don't have a garage to put the car in. Thanks for posting all this stuff

Members online

Back