chip woes again..or not?

viiiball

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
3 days ago, i had an incident with my chip, i took it out cleaned it super good as instructed by geno, and have been driving the car...running great , today i go to the car wash, wsh car, by hand, get in start car and again check engine and rough idle, though not as bad as the first time, so i pull over turn off ignition, and let it sit for about 30 sec or so, re start car, and prob solved, rough at first, then smooths out,drove for 30 min to see if any probs...none...i am confused,just went out started her again, and no probs is this just a fluke that may happen once in a while . i got the idea from the first time it happened, i just disc the neg cable and recon it and prob solved, i truly did clean that s.o.b. terminal very good, so i don't think that is it, i even drove the last 2 days with the under dash out and computer down just in case somthin is up , bolted it up last night cause i thought all is well, also where do you get codes read?

im just gonna take a stab cause I dont know much about chips--- but could the chips program be screwy? or maybe you have an electrical issue somewhere else thats sending screwy signals to the chip?

Was it one of those pressure wash car washes? You might have got something wet you shouldn't have and after driving a bit it dryed out?
Just a thought.

Phil

I would say you may have gotton one of your sensors wet. As for the first so many minuts and miles your car is running in learning or closed loop mode. My moms 99 duratech sable has a egr problem(insufficent er flow) I have cleaned it several time each disconnecting the neg. I drove the car at least 15-30 or so minuts each time with no engine light. Thought the problem was fixed. But each time after my mom got the car back the light had come back on during her daily driving. Is your car throwing a code at all did the engine light come on? That may help you isolate what sensor got hit. It may be the chip but usually they tend to immediatly have a problem if there is one. Also most chips have no effect at idle unless someone had the chip tuner set their idle higher if possible. I would try getting a can of wire drier or similar and using it on all the connectors that would have anything to do with idle. I either used diletric on the connectors or sprayed the wire drier or similar on all the connectors on my towncar 98 before i washed the engine last year and had no problems. But I have heard of dealers specifically one with a mark8 who used steam cleaner engine cleaner and the car wouldn't idle right after.

Members online

No members online now.
Back