Check Transmission Message, no Codes

JoshMcMadMac

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I am getting the "check transmission" message and E on the dash. No other lights are on, and no codes are coming up. For whatever reason this is also triggering the cooling fan to run at 100% as well.

I had the transmission out recently, as the torque converter needed replaced. Since it had 100k miles on it, I went ahead and had a local guy rebuild it and do all of the necessary updates to it. It ran fine for several hundred miles of mixed driving, and only triggered this message after a two hour, 100+ mile drive.

It drives perfectly normal. I cannot get any codes out of it with my tool, and neither can the parts store. If I use my tool to clear any codes, the message and E go away for a few moments, then it beeps and the message returns. Any ideas?

i believe the dealer scanners can read a bit more than the other two.. is there a warranty with the work done? or more of a side job thing?

As G-RELL says, many codes can not read with most scan tools. I haven't found anything less than $400 that can seem to get to all of them.
Note that the transmission does have a temperature sensor. It seems possible (but I don't know for a fact) that the PCM might set the fan to high if it thinks the transmission is too hot.

Note that the transmission does have a temperature sensor. It seems possible (but I don't know for a fact) that the PCM might set the fan to high if it thinks the transmission is too hot.

I was kind of wondering the same thing...think it is possible for that to have a bad connection and not trigger a check engine light?

I was kind of wondering the same thing...think it is possible for that to have a bad connection and not trigger a check engine light?

Maybe so. Legally, the check engine light only has to come on for things that are emissions or mileage related. Of course, it can be programmed to come on for anything else that the manufacturer wants it to.

Maybe so. Legally, the check engine light only has to come on for things that are emissions or mileage related. Of course, it can be programmed to come on for anything else that the manufacturer wants it to.

Right on. I will get under there this evening and see what I can see (or feel is probably more accurate). I need to check the online manual...do you happen to know off hand if it is one of the three sensors on top, and if so which one?

I believe that it is in the solenoid assembly. As such, it should be the roundish connector with the bolt that runs through it.

I believe that it is in the solenoid assembly. As such, it should be the roundish connector with the bolt that runs through it.

Ugh, well that is less likely. I am thinking it is either a loose connection or it was waiting for a completed drive cycle, as it has gone away again. I will have to wait it out and see if I can get it to come back.

As always, thank you for your help and being available for talking it through, Joe. :cool:

Members online

Back