"Check Fuel Cap"

Eric Cooke

LVC Member
Reaction score
2001 LS V8

I have started getting the message of "Check Fuel Cap". ....so I did....
A. It is still there.
B. It is clicked on.
C. The rubber gasket seems fine.
I am guessing the computer is reading air or vacuum loss of some sort in the tank? A valve stuck open? This seems that it will be pretty straight forward but I wanted to check and see if others have ran across this.

Thanks,
Eric

It could be a stuck purge valve, but the message will be triggered by any fuel tank or fuel tank vent leak. There are a few hoses to check, as well as the fuel pump ports.

I'm assuming these cars have a charcoal canister? Could be clogged, but it's probably a stretch. Might want to just replace the gas cap. Costs like $4 at Advance Auto and you can take it back if it doesn't fix it.

OK- I checked everything attached to the fuel tank and as far as I can tell it all seems fine except that the fuel filler hose is old and "squishy", i.e. if it was a coolant hose I would definitely replace it. I started to pull it but decided I would err on the side of caution and ask if there is any special procedure to this...besides making sure the fuel level is low enough to not accidentally drain the tank all over the floor.

Members online

Back