Check engine

Steven

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Have a 2000 ls v6 with a check engine light on indicating egr valve. Replaced valve, sensor, had lines cleaned and made sure vacumn lines were properly connected and the light still returns after about 30 miles. Car runs fine. Any suggestions? This light is driving me crazy.

There is no code that specifically says the EGR valve is bad. What is the exact, five character, OBDII code that you are getting?

Maybe a vacuum leak. Have you checked all the lines for any tiny cracks ? Any whistling noise?

I don't know what the code is, I was told it was an air obstruction.

well then, I would either suggest going somewhere and having the code read (plenty of places will do this for free) so that you may actually have a chance in finding which of a hundred different problems that could be causing your light to come on. or you can just continue to throw wild ass guesses and parts at it and hope that sooner or later you fix the problem...

have you checked to see if your gas cap is closed tightly?

Did you find a solution to your engine light?

Mine is doing this as well, engine light came on so I brought it into the dealership and they told me the EGR Valve is no good. So I changed the EGR Valve and took it for a highway drive today and the engine light came back on after a short drive.

Car seems to be running fine other then the engine light...tomorrow I will check the vacuum lines on the egr but im sure theyre good. I will also check my invoice from the diagnosis and see if the code they pulled is on it.. I think either way I will be calling the dealership to see what they say.

Any ideas would greatly help though.. Thanks!

Sure we can, he needs new coils!

well that would be the place to start... LOL but he also has more problems since the light actually came on!

I'll try to get the code tomorrow. The diagnostic was done last october before I packed the car away for the winter so its been a few months.

Ok so I found my reciept with the code .. PO108.

Everything I can find on this code points to the MAF sensor? I do run the aftermarket wet K&N air filter.. I'll clean the MAF this morning and try it out. I hope thats all this is...

I guess I'm the dumbass for trusting the dealership when they told me the egr is nfg..really kicking myself for not looking further into it!!

Thanks for any help.

Ok so I found my reciept with the code .. PO108.

Everything I can find on this code points to the MAF sensor? ...

Well then everything you have found is wrong!
P0108 = Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High
The MAP sensor is nothing at all like the MAF sensor. They are two very different things. The MAP sensor is part of the gen II EGR valve assembly. Possible causes of your problem are:
1. Bad EGR valve assembly. Where did you get the replacement from? Was it new? Did you install it correctly? Did you use a new gasket?
2. Broken or disconnected vacuum lines to the EGR valve assembly. Those hard plastic vacuum lines crack if you even look at them wrong. Are you sure they are all okay? Are you positive that there are no breaks in the lines where they run inside the soft loom covering?
3. Bad electrical connection. Do you have the valve plugged in correctly and is the connector fully seated? Is the wiring okay all the way from the EGR valve assembly to the PCM?
4. Bad PCM. This is very unlikely (for this issue).

Ok so I've just sprayed off my MAF sensor but after reading your post Joe I think I wasted my time.

1) New EGR Valve(appeared new anyway) and new Gasket installed, purchased on Ebay from 3guysautoparts in the states. Make of EGR is standard auto parts #EGV1046. I'm sure its installed correctly but I plan to take it apart and check it all again now.

2) checked all vacuum lines this morning but will check again when i take the egr off again.

3) connecters are connected and appear to be in good condition.

4) pcm...like you said..highly unlikely.

I'll post an update in a coupke days once I take the egr off and re-install it again.

Thanks Fella's!

Yeah eBay white box auto parts are always a good gamble.

Don't over oil the K&N air filter, will muck up the MAF sensor and throw codes as well, although that is not your current problem.

Joe, I do not know if it's the same code, I am assuming it is (I know)!

My plan, re-do the egr and check everything..take it for a spin and see if the light comes back..if it does then retrieve code again to see what I get.

Bud, leave the EGR on for now, run to a mall and pick up a simple OBDII scanner, plug it in, read the code, clear the code, see if same codes come back.
Without being even able to read a code, you are simply throwing darts at a board while blindfolded.

You don't have to spend much on an OBDII reader, don't always need the expensive fancy ones, a simple cost effective unit is better then nothing.

Simplest of them all >>> http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...-with-emission-readiness-monitors/273349_0_0/

Cheap and does the job!

Harbor Freight might even have a special on this week, who knows.

I may be mistaken but doesnt disconnecting the battery for a good ten mins clear the codes? Then after you start up if there are problems still present then codes will reappear?

I may be mistaken but doesnt disconnecting the battery for a good ten mins clear the codes? Then after you start up if there are problems still present then codes will reappear?

Yes, actually, ten seconds is probably enough. Alternately, you can just leave it and wait for the light to go off after a few drivesc̶y̶c̶l̶e̶s̶
In any event, the ability to read codes for yourself is good to have. I think that there are some even cheaper OBDII to Bluetooth adapters that work with smart phones that can pull far more information (and codes from other systems in the car) than the generic stand alone readers.

joegr;2037378468.......drive cycles.......[/QUOTE said:
*snicker* *snicker*...... Joe said drive cycles..... :lol::lol::lol:

He's like the candyman, you say his name or that term drive cycle 3xs and he appears.

Members online

No members online now.
Back