check charging system AGAIN?!?!

dudez_link

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
ive gone through 2 alternators with my aftermarket system so i upgraded to a Ohio Gen H/O alt. got it installed 3 weeks ago and its been doing great. i disconnected the system this weekend cuz i needed the trunk space now my check charging system light comes on. havent had it looked at but cant figure out what could be doing it. it turns off when i stop at a light or when im at idle but then comes back on after about 2nd gear. anyone have any ideas before i get her looked at? planning on getting the codes read after work....would that tell me what the problem is? thanks

well duh....but how is it that it works good for 3 weeks then craps out....on a brand new alt? how can i check if thats even it?

Get a volt meter (most hardware stores have them, even Wal-Mart does) and check to see if the system is charging the battery. It should read about 14 volts.

Go to an auto parts store and ask them to check the alt.

Doesn't matter if it's new or old an alt can go out. Check to make sure wires are connected solid and tight.

ok my battery charging system light came on today then went off then came on again. then went off. and i checked the volts with the car on it was reading at 14.59 and it wasnt dropping. and when the car was off it read at 12.35. so what could be the problem with mines? thanks.

you were right...voltage regulator went bad. calling Ohio Gen now. norty...if youre running a system in your car thats probably it. i had the same symptoms when my system was sucking out too much juice....and killed 2 alternators. you might need a high output alt. you can get the alt checked at your local auto parts store

i do have an high output alt. but it hasnt come up again. for a day and i checked my voltage again and its still at 14.59 so what do you think of that? could it be my computer system or? .....

I have the same message but my alternator was taken out to replace the hydraulic fan pump and before taking the car to the shop the car was charging fine and now it reads like 11 volts on the battery constantly...

Any help would be appreciate it

Members online

Back