CEL, stalling, and delayed restart.

chris2523

93 Mark VIII
Reaction score
code 214.
cam sensor right?
but will a bad cam sensor shut down the car?

about every 2 miles the engine shuts off and won't restart for 3-5 minutes.

cam and crank sensors are pretty new, 3-4 months old.

it has done this before. exact same. replaced the crank and cam sensors and it went away for 3 or so months.
and now its back.

Yea, it will kill the motor going down the road. Will start back up fine, but will do the same thing. It's like if it goes bad, timing wont be right, and the car will die. Delayed starting will be a symptom also, as you stated.

Well, I feel stupid now haha. Ahh, that was the crank sensor I am referring to. My old Chevy, would delay in starting, or not start at all. Days I would go to work, and had to wait to go home for it to start, replaced crank sensor, and all was fine. Did you start it, just to see if it would, or did you leave it running?

I am fairly sure the Mark VIIIs without COP don't use the cam sensor.

Incorrect.

Gen1MarkVIIIIgnition.jpg

IMG_2807.jpg

is this a problem? geez. that's at the cam sensor. i'll check the wires at the crank sensor next.

since they are shielded wires, i'm going to go ahead and assume that two wires with no shielding at all probably made something angry.

I have been having something similar happen to me. 2 days ago my car wouldnt run, just start and immediately die, I had to give it gas to keep it running til it smoothed out, happened twice that day. Yesterday the car died on me while pulling into a gas station, but started right up, only happened that one time. Today the CEL came on when I started the car, and it sounds like its idling way too high. Don't know if these things could be caused by the same thing thats causing OP problem, or if these problems are even related at all

Incorrect.

Ah I see. It does not use it for ignition though. It must just look up defaults for the injectors if there is no cam sensor signal.

must be. there is probably also a much larger margin of error for the firing of injectors. pretty sure some older eec iv systems were batch fire, so it just popped the whole left side at once. if that works, then an educated guess for a sfi system would be fine.

sounds like my issue is crankshaft position sensor related then.

With a bit more thought I'd guess the EEC just fires both injectors like it fires both plugs. It really has no other way to know which side to fire without the cam sensor. I'm not sure how that would work without misfiring though.

Oh well lots to learn, mistakes to be made. ;)

sounds like my issue is crankshaft position sensor related then.

Try replacing the harness plug on the crank sensor. A lot of times the sensor is fine but the harness plugs get old and intermittent contact results. This is especially so of the cam sensor but also the crank sensor.

Try replacing the harness plug on the crank sensor. A lot of times the sensor is fine but the harness plugs get old and intermittent contact results. This is especially so of the cam sensor but also the crank sensor.

+1, you can get the pigtail at most auto box stores, call first some parts guys are better then others.

Have you looked at fuel pressure?

no dan, i haven't had the chance to put a gauge on it when its acting up. at all other times though, pressure is good.

+1, you can get the pigtail at most auto box stores, call first some parts guys are better then others.

i crawled underneath and checked the wiring and the plug. both looked to be in good shape. i started it up and wiggled and tugged and the wires and couldn't get the engine to respond in anyway. (this was on a cold engine.)
i am thinking i just have another faulty crank sensor that gives up when it gets hot. i'm not sure what else it could be.

i think Driller and Ford Nut got it. i haven't had any stalling issues since the new plug. been driving it 60+ miles daily and the temp has been as high as 102.

next question. i have codes 214, 172, and 176 still.

214 is CID error.
172 and 176 are R/L bank lean.

will the bad camshaft position sensor or wiring cause the lean codes? i know the CMP runs the sequential fuel injectors, so i am thinking it may be related to the lean codes.

the cmp is new motorcraft as well, i may try another wiring plug for it too. its the same plug.

it has crossed my mind. but mine are pretty low mileage. and i want to deal with this 214 code first.
as the CMP is the sensor for the fuel injector timing, and is the usual cause for a 214, i might get two problems with one fix here.

Members online

No members online now.
Back