CD stuck while trying to eject

tristangoesham

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I did some googling before posting before one of you chews me out. I pulled the fuse out and put it back in and nothing was fixed. Also I have the 6 disc nav unit and a lot of the solutions I saw were for the basic models. Any idea how to get the damn disc out? The thing runs the whole time the car is on and I'm scared it's going to burn out the motor.

Video of the problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taM9hOvoscU

Time to purchase a new Radio. Say bye bye to your CD unless you can take the radio apart to retrieve it. I am more perplexed that people still use CDs than I am that your cd is stuck.

Sadly, the answer is repair or replace. If you can live without CDs, you can disconnect the CD changer from the nav head and then you'd still have the radio and the navigation. You can disassemble the changer to get the CDs out.
Mine failed under warranty, and they replaced it. When it failed again it was outside of warranty and I went aftermarket. Instead of CDs, I have my entire collection on a 120G iPOD that is controlled and played through the aftermarket nav unit.

I've seen some nice aftermarket units on here. Anyone have any idea how much it costs to get replaced with a double din?

I am more perplexed that people still use CDs than I am that your cd is stuck.

I do... Without the hard drive in my BMW I would be using CD's there also. How else does one listen to music other than the radio?? Not all cars, especially cars of the LS era, have Bluetooth or 1/8" plugs. Kind of like NAV. I could either have a 10" screen or the 4ish inch phone screen. My next 535 will have a HUD where the turns will be repeated on the windscreen. CD's also let me listen to what I want to listen to when I want.

In my opinion cds are still more reliable than any hard drive system including storage on cell phones. I notice with my Google Play subscription that alot of my songs are starting to have blanks, skips, and pauses in songs just like a damanged cd would. Also the digital format don't sound as crisp or lively as the cds do. Since I just bought my LS I can attest to that. Obviously it doesn't have aux in or bluetooth capability so I have went back to cds for the time being and they sound really good. Made me miss my cds.

When I had trouble with my CD player, I found it possible to hit 'eject' and then hold the little flapper open. You can watch the action while it goes through its cycle. I used a kitchen butter knife to 'help' it come out. The second time it happened I took it to my local 'Car Tunes' with the thought that I'd buy a replacement unit. Instead, they offered to rebuild it.

The service cost about $50 and, to this day, the player works just fine.

KS

I had the same issue with my 2002 LS Sport. It gets hung up on something inside. Take out your drivers license, or credit card and slide it under (might be above) the CD and pry it down (or up) a little while your are trying to eject it. You are trying to mimic the old 1970's credit card to open the home door lock gig. It usually comes right out. Everyone is right though, it is time to get a new head unit but at least you can save your CD's!

Take another CD and wiggle it in there while hitting eject trying to get the other out. It worked for me.

Also IMO CD Sound quality sound much better than mp3 any day.

How else does one listen to music other than the radio??

LS with aftermarket head: flash drive and phone via bluetooth, both controlled by head
2010 Explorer: internal hard drive, ripped from CDs; phone via bluetooth
2014 Fusion: flash drive
97 Taurus: iPod to a 1/8" line spliced into the cassette preamps (I believe I saw someone cut into an LS head to do the same; my Taurus has a trunk-mounted amp so it was easier)

I imagine more LSes have aftermarket heads than stocks

CD's also let me listen to what I want to listen to when I want.

Me too, but without CDs

In my opinion cds are still more reliable than any hard drive system including storage on cell phones.

If you leave the discs in there, maybe. CDs are easy to damage.

Also the digital format don't sound as crisp or lively as the cds do.

I never thought I'd see record and tube logic used in defense of CDs. CDs are digital, too. Get better recordings. They can be found. Either purchase digital albums through itunes/amazon/etc or carefully crawl through your favorite illegal outlet. Streaming services often cut quality to reduce data usage.

Both of you are comparing distributed record label recordings to downgraded rips. They save data, save bandwidth, save server load, or save hard drive space. By default, itunes reduces quality when transferring to an ipod to halve space used. You can change that setting. And I have news for you: if a player can read the artist and tracks (without an internet connection to figure it out), the CD has mp3 tracks. Mp3 is just a file type. You can change the quality for your own burned mp3 discs, too.

if a player can read the artist and tracks (without an internet connection to figure it out), the CD has mp3 tracks. Mp3 is just a file type.

no the audio is not in MP3 format, there is just extra metadata containing album information.

long before MP3 players and their high compression, regular store bough CDs could and have had this data in them, however most music labels just do not add this information do to laziness and saving cost.

get better quality MP3s. most MP3 you just randomly get off of the internet are very low bitrate to save space and maximize storage. kick that bit rate up (or use something better than crap freeware ripping software) and it will sound much better.

a good rip with a high bit rate is fairly hard for most people to tell the difference, especially in a car audio system being driven with all sorts of road noise. now maybe if you have a new Continental with the 19 speaker Revel audio system you would actually be able to tell a little easier.

In my opinion cds are still more reliable than any hard drive system including storage on cell phones.
now that is just crazy talk, you can have your phone loadd with music, and have it backed up on a computer, if you lose or break your phone, you still have all of your music in perfect condition and can load it on to a new phone (or any device)

I notice with my Google Play subscription that alot of my songs are starting to have blanks, skips, and pauses in songs just like a damaged cd would.

so if CDs do the same thing... then how are they any more reliable?

also once the CD is damaged, then it toast and you have to buy a new CD. chances are that if your having skips and misses, it is more likely due to the device being bogged down and not processing fast enough or that since your using google play music, it may be a buffering problem with the device. if by some weird chance the data in the song did get corrupted, then you can delete that version and reload it up back to new, cant do that with a CD.

Also the digital format don't sound as crisp or lively as the cds do. Since I just bought my LS I can attest to that. Obviously it doesn't have aux in or bluetooth capability so I have went back to cds for the time being and they sound really good. Made me miss my cds.

ummm, CDs are one of the first consumer DIGITAL forms of media, and due to it being a digital representation of a analog sound, you get flutter which (arguably) doesn't sound as lively as an analog source like vinyl. unfortunately like most things that are many decades old with little change, even they are falling behind and newer forms of high-resolution audio being encoded and playback with a much higher bitrate than even CDs (about 6x more information) so even more detail is preserved during the analog to digital conversion. CDs are the past, its even becoming harder and harder to go somewhere and buy them.

ummm, CDs are one of the first consumer DIGITAL forms of media, and ...

This crazy lady must have traveled time and got it on Cassette somehow,

JVC2.jpg

... no wonder she's smiling. :D

JVC2.jpg

All of my music is tired on my iPhone, iPad and PC. I have Bluetooth and aux plug on my aftermarket double din. I loaded all my cds onto my iTunes and no longer have cds laying around.

no the audio is not in MP3 format, there is just extra metadata containing album information.

long before MP3 players and their high compression, regular store bough CDs could and have had this data in them, however most music labels just do not add this information do to laziness and saving cost.

get better quality MP3s. most MP3 you just randomly get off of the internet are very low bitrate to save space and maximize storage. kick that bit rate up (or use something better than crap freeware ripping software) and it will sound much better.

a good rip with a high bit rate is fairly hard for most people to tell the difference, especially in a car audio system being driven with all sorts of road noise. now maybe if you have a new Continental with the 19 speaker Revel audio system you would actually be able to tell a little easier.

now that is just crazy talk, you can have your phone loadd with music, and have it backed up on a computer, if you lose or break your phone, you still have all of your music in perfect condition and can load it on to a new phone (or any device)

so if CDs do the same thing... then how are they any more reliable?

also once the CD is damaged, then it toast and you have to buy a new CD. chances are that if your having skips and misses, it is more likely due to the device being bogged down and not processing fast enough or that since your using google play music, it may be a buffering problem with the device. if by some weird chance the data in the song did get corrupted, then you can delete that version and reload it up back to new, cant do that with a CD.

ummm, CDs are one of the first consumer DIGITAL forms of media, and due to it being a digital representation of a analog sound, you get flutter which (arguably) doesn't sound as lively as an analog source like vinyl. unfortunately like most things that are many decades old with little change, even they are falling behind and newer forms of high-resolution audio being encoded and playback with a much higher bitrate than even CDs (about 6x more information) so even more detail is preserved during the analog to digital conversion. CDs are the past, its even becoming harder and harder to go somewhere and buy them.

I'm not the only one who thinks cds sound better than songs that are stored on a device such as your phone. I have had Itunes and Google play and yes they sound good but not like a cd. I can speak personally on that as I just bought my LS and it doesn't have bluetooth like my 2016 MKZ does. The cds sound much crisper and the THX makes you hear the songs even clearer. And lets not even go there for Satellite Radio Sirius....sounds garbage no matter where it's played.

Wow did this thread take a turn...

What I haven't shared yet is that I am a recording engineer, lol.

Big, great find on that Pic. That is actually the competing technology that a few companies wanted to market instead of CD - so I would call that same time frame. They felt that consumers would be more familiar with that as a noiseless audio source (where as tape hiss was so undesirable). In conjunction with that period there was a push to use the same cassettes as a stable, portable home computer storage device - lol look up TRS-80.

I still remember laughing at the guys showing MP3 at C.E.S. telling them how horrible it sounds and no one would go back (toward cassette level sound). I was wrong sadly. Miniaturization rules out I guess. Where we are now though is a at a point where storage and data transfer speed are so strong we dont have to compress any more. THAT will make all the difference in what sounds good and what doesn't.

Look for the future to bring something that is based on Direct Stream Digital as it is the only truly lossless format for digital storage of analog information. It is here actually, but not widespread. I was one of the first to adopt and use it when Sony/Phillips brought it to market back in the late 90's. I had it in my 2002 and people were amazed at the sound. I actually pulled the ashtray, moved the A/C Controls to the top, Single DIN in the center where controls had been and center channel speaker (full size) where what was left.

If I ever get past the mechanical expenses, I will be able to spend money on my passion again! :cool:

Members online

No members online now.
Back