Cat question...

scjmc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to tell if the cats are bad besides having the exhaust checked with a sniffer? I recently bought my 06 and I had massive misfire issues with it until I changed the coils about a week later. There is no telling how long the previous owner drove it like this. I had at least 3 bad coils. The cats are covered under warranty I believe to 8yr/80K miles right?

You can check for a general obstruction. Feel the exhaust at idle, should feel like a bunch of little puffs. If it feels like a constant flow, then there is an obstruction in the system. What this does is stops exhaust from coming out, so the pulses will stop at the obstruction. Once the exhaust pressurizes enough to force its way past the obstruction, it comes out smooth. A clogged cat or a muffler with internal damage can cause this.

Another way, is a high RPM run. If it falls on its face earlier than it should this can indicate a failed cat. This can also indicate a lot of other problems such as a failing coil (I know you guys say it's more likely that a failed coil will show at idle, but I've had failing coils reveal themselves at higher RPMs, the coil breaks down internally and can't resaturate fast enough anymore), a clogged fuel filter or a failing fuel pump.

Any exhaust shop can check your cats, and will usually do it free. You don't have to worry about being lied to on this because it's against federal law to replace cats that aren't failed and these exhaust shops aren't willing to risk the 25K fine that such a violation will get them; if replacing the cat doesn't fix your problem you are liable to complain to the EPA about it and they take that stuff seriously.

The cats are covered under a separate warranty and can be as long as 10 years/100K miles. If you have the original documentation it'll show there.

I will check for theexhaust pulses. I am more wondering about if the cats have failed to function properly rather than being plugged. We don't get emissions testing here, but I want know that it would pass.

you can also pull the O2 sensors and measure the back pressure before and after... It it is ridiculously high before the cat, then it is clogged up.

A cat is very simple. A modern cat is a brick of metal, or metal coated ceramic, with holes in it. When you look down one it looks like a bunch of screens stacked one on the other. The brick is also somewhat brittle so it really can't take a hit.

There are only three failure modes for a cat, either it's clogged, melted or broken. If it's broken, it'll rattle inside and you can get backpressure depending on how broken it is. If it's clogged you won't get the rattle but you get the backpressure. If it's melted you may or may not get a rattle, but you get the backpressure. This is why backpressure is the definitive test of a bad cat.

Well, there is a fourth failure mode, and that is lead contamination but as lead is no longer sold for auto fuel in most areas of the planet it's not one people typically think about. Lead will coat the brick and cause it to stop converting, which will be picked up by the rear O2 sensors.

Members online

Back